We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

montreal
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

Since my cruise is not offering anything,I welcome suggestions. I love scenery & love to swim

Any particular tours to recommend please?

Many thanks

15 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

Are you sure your ship won't be anchored off the main port town of Fare? What cruise line are you on?

Fare is a nice little town to walk around and buy souvenirs, and it also has a very nice little beach. The Huahine Yacht Club is right there and has food and a bar, and I think Wi-Fi as well (walk to the left as you arrive and face the town and that's where the beach and yacht club are).

If you want to take a tour, Poetaina Day Tours is the more relaxed option and Huahine Nautique is a little more fast-paced. Both are reviewed extensively here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g309…

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:51
Mentioned in this post
Huahine Yacht Club
Huahine Yacht Club
344 Reviews
Huahine, French Polynesia
Poetaina Day Tours
Poetaina Day Tours
170 Reviews
Huahine Nautique
Huahine Nautique
259 Reviews
Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

You may want to consider renting a car and seeing the island that way. It’s also fun to go on a jet ski tour.

What Cruise line are you on? I am also,surprised that they are not offering any tours.

Regards BO

montreal
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

Thank you both. I will be on Holland America & they are not offering any tours which I find strange.

I would rather not drive. As long as I could be behind someone on a jet ski.

I would imagine all cruise ships would be anchored at the same place-at least I hope it would be.

Thank you so much for the 2 tour companies. I wonder how the beach would be at Fare compared to where

the other 2 companies take you??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

The beach at Fare is tranquil and lovely. The tour companies don't really take you to swimming beaches; they take you to snorkeling spots and stop at a motu for a picnic lunch at tables in the shallow water. If you aren't doing that on any of your other excursions, it might be worthwhile. And if they get you back soon enough (Poetaina tours gets you back earlier, I think), you will still have time for a dip in the water at the beach at Fare.

And I wouldn't be 100% sure about all cruise ships anchoring at the same spot. Ours (Windstar) was a very small ship--just 140 passengers max--and the Paul Gauguin is only a little bigger (about 250 passengers). They can anchor in bays instead of having to dock.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 07:56
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

Correction: The Paul Gauguin apparently anchors at Maroe Bay (or at least does sometimes). If you have "Maroe Bay, Huahine Iti" on your itinerary, then you are also going to be anchored at Maroe Bay, not at Fare. I'd suggest taking one of the guided tours I mentioned above. They will pick you up at your ship. You may also get a little time at Fare, depending on the tour's itinerary.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 08:04
Mentioned in this post
Huahine
Huahine
Society Islands, French Polynesia
montreal
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

I think my ship is on the smaller side-it's the Maasdam & it's going to Maroe Bay from 8-5. Poetaina Day tours brings you back at 4 PM & Huahine Nautique brings you back a bit earlier at 3:30.

Huahine Nautique meets you at the Wharf at 8:45 for a combo tour-4x4 & boat

You visit the town Fare,see archeologics sites-Maeva,vanilla plantation,feed the sacred eels (blue eyes), he said snorkel in the best coral garden of the island;then meet the others at the picnic on the motu (small island),local music

open bar & back at 3:30 for $140 USD

With Poetaina they only start at 9:30 & finish at 4-their tour is: capital of Huahine,then snorkeling,then sacred eels,then the unique pearl farm,then Motu where you eat

and yes,I am doing Motu's on other excursions

What do you think? What are the outstanding things to do here?

Mentioned in this post
Huahine Nautique
Huahine Nautique
259 Reviews
Huahine
Huahine
montreal
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

How far is Fare from Maroe Bay?? And can I take a bus ?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

There is no bus. Just take one of the tours, whichever one has the itinerary that looks more appealing to you. They are both well-reviewed on TripAdvisor (I went with Poetaina but it was through the Windstar cruise, so they only took us snorkeling and to the motu picnic, nothing else)..

Edited: 21 June 2018, 01:02
montreal
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

I like Poetaina's tour but they come back at 4 PM which is cutting it close since HAL leaves at 5,whereas the other company comes back at 3:30-you don't want to be late. Thanks so very much for all the feedback

Woodbury...
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti

We took a 4 hour tour of the island. Our guide, a young woman who is a teacher at the university in Tahiti spoke perfect english and told us everything we wanted to know about Huahine as well as basic information about all of French Polynesia. I don't recall the name of the tour group. It's not a big island and there's probably just a few tour groups.

I did want to go to the island where they dive for black pearls but it takes at least 2 hours since you have to take a boat the island and there wasn't enough time. I'm sorry I missed that experience. Would have been very interesting. If you're interested in going to that island, it should be a separate trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Huahine
Huahine
French Polynesia
French Polynesia
South Pacific
Reply to: I have One Full Day in Maroe Bay,Huahine Iti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted