We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay In Rarotonga

Banff National...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay In Rarotonga

We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids 7 and 9. I would love to stay in a private house or apartment that is beach front on a calm beach. I would also like to walk to nice restaurants and bars. I would say our budget is mid to high. What area of the island would you recommend we look at. I appreciate any assistance you can offer. We will be traveling there for 2 weeks early November.

2 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,983 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay In Rarotonga

Kia Orana BanffHorseback, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

At the southern edge of Muri beach is the award-winning Taakoka Muri beach house, with a pool. It's outside of the main Muri mile, but still within walking distance to Muri restaurants and bars, as well as Te Vara Nui cultural village.

South of Muri, further around into the SE corner are the Te Manava villas, all are beautifully appointed with private pools. Tranquil lagoon, although there are basaltic rocks along Maii beach. Very quiet location, and the Pacific Resort Group concierge will transport you into Muri, to the main Pacific Resort bar and restaurant.

Island Bay villas has a luxury master homestead as well as the smaller 2 br villa on the same site. Excellent lagoon views looking along the length of Muri beach. Private guest pool.

Titikaveka village has Sands villas, Te Maeva, Iro's beach house. All beachfront with a lovely beach and lagoon area. Only Moana Sands hotel in the village accepts children under 16 years for dining. There are a couple of cafes, and a takeaway hut. I suggest booking a rental car for a stay in this location. Short drive to Muri or Vaimaanga for restaurants.

Vaimaanga is a very nice area. Beachfront places include Palm Grove's 3 br beachfront villa, Natura villa, Moana Sands Vaima apartments and Cook's Bay villas (with pool). 2 licenced restaurants, coffee shop and takeaway all very handy to accommodation. Wigmore's superstore for groceries, fresh meat and fish and fruit, vegetables and baking.

All beaches see calm days and rough waters, depending on the wind direction. In November, summertime the wind swings around somewhat. The prevailing wind is from the SE though. Having a rental car for part/all of your stay will give you flexibility to choose beaches, activities and transport to island-wide dining options.

Kia manuia.

Banff National...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay In Rarotonga

Thank you for your recommendations I will look at the options suggested

Reply to: Where to Stay In Rarotonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question