We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach front family accommodation

South Island, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Beach front family accommodation

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations on a beach front 2 bedroom family accommodation. Air con is a must! Would prefer our own villa or even a holiday home in a area that's quiet with a swimming beach. Also what activities are available for a 12 year old to do without the parents?

We're looking at travelling June next year, so plenty of time to get organised! :)

7 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,068 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach front family accommodation

Kia Orana Philange, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

For a winter-time visit, and wanting to enjoy the beach, you are best to stay in a location that avoids the cooler/cold SE and southerly winds as much as possible. Even our tropical location can experience annoying winds at times.

Muri is a busy area anyway, although it has some great activities going on there! Titikaveka too receives the cooler winds, so if you start your search along the mid south, west and northern swimming beaches you'll be fine. I don't think you are going to need air-con that much. More like having a blanket handy in case we get a cold snap. If you prefer having air-con in case of humidity, places to look are as follows:-

Edgewater Resort - 2 br apartments, swimming and snorkelling, activities for a 12 year old. Busy over winter though.

Cook's Oasis villas - quiet mini-resort, games room and lap-pool, air con available, nice beach. Units are all one section back from beachfront.

Coral Sands apartments - 3 br unit, central pool, nice beachfront, better swimming in front of Waterline cafe to the north.

Cooks Bay villas - 2 brs, nice layout, beachfront with swimming and snorkelling. Modern villas, convenient to Wigmore's superstore, village dining.

I'm sure that your son will meet other family groups on holiday at this time of year. Rarotonga is ideal for families, and there are activities available should you/he be able to join in where possible. There is a golf driving range in Vaimaanga village where Cooks Bay villas are situated.

Have a look at Lagoon Breeze in Aroa though. Not beachfront, they have their own beach section across the road. Aroa is wonderful for snorkelling and swimming in the marine reserve. Mini-golf at Cocoputt, village store for supplies, Adventure Cook Islands in Kavera hires out cycles and other equipment.

Although it's only August, I suggest that you arrange your accommodation before the end of the year. Airfare specials will arise once the busiest tourism months are over for this current year. School holidays attract higher airline pricing though, from Auckland. Virgin operate a weekly direct flight from Christchurch over winter.

All the best. Kia manuia.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Titikaveka
Titikaveka
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
The Edgewater Resort & Spa
The Edgewater Resort...
1,723 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Cooks Bay Villas
Cooks Bay Villas
143 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Vaimaanga
Vaimaanga
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Lagoon Breeze Villas
Lagoon Breeze Villas
415 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Aroa Beach
Aroa Beach
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Cocoputt
Cocoputt
476 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach front family accommodation

I agree about air conditioning in June, you will not need it at all. I've only ever used the airconditioning while staying in December and January (definitely needed it then). Given that it's not so hot in June perhaps you could widen your search to those places without aircon - most have very effective ceiling fans.

While the beach is not so good for swimming on the western side (more shallow with rocks etc) it is much warmer with less wind in the winter months. Frangipani has made some good recommendations for accommodation.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach front family accommodation

hi check out rent raro.com for private accomadations easy to deal with houses and units all over raro if you like snorkeling checkout palm grove or matenga beach bungalows for a couple The edgewater resort fabulous and reasonable prices for great food and drinks happy hour wonderful breakfasts too have kids club activities as well for teens

South Island, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach front family accommodation

Thank you all for your replies. There's so many decisions to make, but will get there :)

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach front family accommodation

We have been coming to the Cooks for 20 years, with and without children and have stayed at various places.

We love Cooks Bay villas and they are perfect for families and there are usually a few staying there during school holidays. They have single kayaks, double kayaks and glass bottom kayaks as well as snorkelling gear, reef shoes, lifejackets.

Swimming pool. trampoline, TV with all kinds of movies downloaded and walking distance to Wigmores for that afternoon ice cream.

We prefer the southside but it can get a bit chilly in winter. I usually take a short wetsuit for snorkelling during that time of year.

We have also stayed at the Navigator in Muri, Are HIne in Muri, The Laurie house in Muri, Maeva beach house and Iros beach villa and can recommend all of the above. We are staying again at The Laurie house in October as well as Cooks Bay

We like having on-site managers at Cooks Bay and security patrolling the property from 11pm to 5am.

Edited: 25 August 2017, 07:06
Mentioned in this post
Cooks Bay Villas
Cooks Bay Villas
143 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,068 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach front family accommodation

Other activities for Vaimaanga include paint-ball and Kuki-tag held inside the derelict hotel. I don't know how suited the activities are for a 12 year old here. My boys enjoyed paint-ball etc when they were at Intermediate and College. But they used to go out with others from school, accompanied by a parent. If you decide to stay in Vaimaanga, perhaps this is another activities option.

I spoke to a relation who owns a shop in Titikaveka. He commented how cold this winter has been, and he is wearing heavier winter clothes. But he's noticed that his customers are wearing their summer clothing, which is minimal. You may find our version of winter is mild, next June.

Today the cooler southerly winds are back. Was wonderful not having them for the past fortnight, only the winds from the SE and easterlies in the main. Pleasant enough and excellent for the Manureva kite surfing festival this weekend at Muri

Mentioned in this post
Vaimaanga
Vaimaanga
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Titikaveka
Titikaveka
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
South Island, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach front family accommodation

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm sure your winters are warmer than our winters that are in single digits and start in the negatives!

We always stay in holiday homes when holidaying in NZ as we know we're not going to hear what's going on in the room next door! So thinking of a holiday home there too. I have just been told about Blue Starfish and Natura Pool Villa. Anyone stayed at either of these before? or can recommend another place in the west side?

Reply to: Beach front family accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted