We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

I keep reading about water stations and bottled water in Rarotonga, but I am wondering as to the level of contamination and possible consequences. Does one need to be cautious eating fresh salads? what about ice in drinks? pool water and showering? What types of precautions across the board do tourists adhere to, and has anyone become ill will vacationing in Rarotonga? Many years ago I followed all advice and precautions while in Mexico and still became very sick. TIA

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
151 reviews
1. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

Hi kauinca,

We've never had a problem. Don't drink the tap water unless your accommodation provider has given you assurances that their water is UV treated (not just filtered).

Only use water from the water stations that have a blue sticker, stating they are safe, or stick to bottled water to be on the safe side.

We have never had a problem eating salads in restaurants. All ice served in drinks has been commercially made using treated water.

I've never been sick from showering, but then I'm not in the habit of drinking the shower water. When in Raro, I have always cleaned my teeth in tap water and never suffered any ill effects.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

We have been going to Raro for 20 years and have never had a problem. Do as Fernsie says and you will be fine.

3. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2017, 20:21
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,424 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

The water at restaurants and cafes are mostly in-house treated; filter and UV. It will only be small market stalls that may have access to tap water on site. None of the public supplied tap water is potable as yet.

If you are in doubt about safety standards, dine at higher quality places, and avoid or enquire about fresh vegetable preparation.

Nearly all accommodation either has in-house treatment systems, or commercially treated water is supplied by Vaima water company.

The only village water stations that I would drink straight from are at the Tupapa meeting house one, which is very regularly attended to by one of our MP's. And also the one at the Takuvaine AOG church. But then I know the people who clean the filters, and who maintain good standards of hygiene.

Seek advice from your accommodator on Raro, as they will be cautious for their guests health and own reputation.

CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond and for your advice! I really appreciate it! Only a month and a half until our first trip to the Cook Islands!!

6. Re: Water (drinking) quality, anyone get sick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2018, 12:18