We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers licence questions

Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Drivers licence questions

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's still possible to extend the expiration of a visitor licence? They used to last up to 10 years if you paid a fee, but it sounds like they are only limited to 30 days now? Also, would I be allowed to drive a car with a passenger after getting a Cook Islands visitor licence if I have a NZ restricted? I can't seem to find information on whether visitors can still sit a car licence, and I think the police.gov.ck website is down.

Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers licence questions

As far as I am aware when we drove for a month - you do not need to sit any test or pay for a license for a car. You are certainly not restricted in driving guests (I had a pickup truck with many out the back). Any international car license in English should do.

I'm not so certain whether you need to apply after a month or not. I think it's after much longer but I'll let somebody else confirm.

Edit: The advice is completely different for motorbikes/mopeds where you do need to sit a test.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 16:22
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,779 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers licence questions

Kia Orana NovaSunset, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

There have been a number of threads regarding driver licencing on the forums. You may be able to find something relevant posted here. But if I have time today I will call into the Regulatory office at the Police station to ask one of their staff.

Will repost again, if I get the information. Since that office is so busy processing licences and other matters, I will see if someone is free to talk to, just before they shut at 3pm.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers licence questions

Hello Richard and Frangipani, thank you both for the help!

From the searching I've done it seems most people have full car licences and are looking for information about licencing to ride a scooter, but I actually have a motorcycle licence already and only a learner car licence from NZ (although I can get a restricted if it helps) and from what I can tell the restricted conditions carry over to the Rarotongan visitors licence, which means I can't take passengers with a car.

I'm wondering if I can sit a local licence, or get an extra qualification of sorts for the visitor one, as I'd be travelling with someone who can't ride motorcycles for medical reasons. Plus if I can get one that has a long expiration time that'd be great for if we hop through multiple times. I hope that makes sense, thanks again for the help!

Mentioned in this post
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa
The Rarotongan Beach...
1,212 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,779 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers licence questions

From what I've read on the website, you do need to have a full driver's licence to carry passengers. I walked past the police office today but it looked too busy for me to queue up in the regulatory office at that time - lunchtime. Better for me to return at a more suitable time, which is just before they close. Or I can phone if I can get through to the licencing personnel.

I will also enquire about the duration of driving as a visitor on an acceptable licence from overseas. But think that could be 6 months before you need to apply for a Cook Islands licence. Will check that rule for you also.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers licence questions

Thanks again, Frangipani! Very kind of you to help, I hope this doesn't put you out too much!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,779 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivers licence questions

Fortunately I live near town, so it's very convenient for me to do shopping in town, as well as to use the ANZ ATM's there. Happy to help you out so that you gain up to date information.

I'll ask if it's possible for you to sit a practical driving test here as well. But I know that I asked another time about transferring a full Cook Islands licence back to NZ when that resident is only on a restricted licence and was told that is not possible. But if you are able to gain a local licence to carry your passenger, seems this would be a good option for you.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,779 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers licence questions

I'm back from town, with some hopeful news for you. Firstly the visitor licence is only valid for 31 days and cannot be extended. But the person on duty said for you to bring your NZ licence into the regulatory office and they will see what they can do for you, by way of your existing licence. That sounds hopeful. I explained the circumstances. Before they even consider having you sit a local driving test they will assess your situation first.

The regulatory office is open until 3pm, but when I got there at 2:30pm there will still tourists waiting to take their scooter tests until shortly after 3pm. I had another matter to deal with also, which is why I made time to be on hand for your issue too.

Meantime, maintain your driving skills as often as you can be out on the roads where you live. Confidence and attitude count a lot from my experiences.

Kia manuia.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 11:00
Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivers licence questions

Ah I see, it's good to know that there's some potential options there. I'll take your advice on board and I'll see if I can do something like a defensive driving course in the meantime. Thanks so much for all the assistance and information, Frangipani, you've been extremely helpful!

Reply to: Drivers licence questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;