We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Camping

Sitting at Girdwood gas station looking for a camp sit

5 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping

Since you posted in the middle of the night, I assume you found somewhere to sleep?

For future reference, the closest would be Crow Creek Mine. The nicest one would be a short drive to Williwaw CG (a few miles along the cut-off to Whittier) and also along that road is Portage RV. More info: www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/alaska/girdwood

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
878 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping

Well ... if you ever make it back to Girdwood ... drive up Crow Creek road to the first bridge and turn left on a single lane dirt road. The road goes up about a quarter mile. There is a walking trail through tall spruce that goes to a small creek with plenty of places to pitch a tent. Back in the mid 70's there was a group of us (mostly Veterans) that spent an entire summer in there. Nobody bothered us and we had very few visitors. Girdwood was always camper friendly back then and I am assuming the small community has the same attitude.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping

Another campground not too far from Girdwood is the Bird Creek CG. It is between Girdwood and Anchorage. Fairly small but was never full when I was there for a couple of nights earlier this season.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping

I've spent many nights sleeping in my van at a pullover...seen lots of northern lights over the years at them too! ;)

5. Re: Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 August 2017, 02:35

Reply to: Camping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Girdwood