We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

So excited because I'm going to Dalyan later this week - two days, one night. It's Bayram/Eid, so I'm expecting it to be busy. However, I'd really like to go to peaceful places (no children, no booming music, no crowded noisy families! I live in Istanbul and go to Dalyan to escape such things!) - have a couple of questions.

Is the dog/animal shelter open (it's a national holiday on the days I'm there, but I am sure the animals still need feeding) and can we visit? Do they have a website or Facebook page I can check?

I want the best restaurant to go to in the evening. Romantic, quiet atmosphere - prefer mezes and fish as opposed to a more international menu. I was in Dalyan last year but none of the meals I had really stood out.

Also - can anyone recommend a riverside bar or restaurant with good wine and proper cocktails (not sugary syrupy ones - preferably margarita done in the correct way!)

Finally, I'd like to buy some leather sandals. Any recommendations or idea of prices? I can get them here in Istanbul for 100tl so no point getting them in Dalyan unless they are really good quality and of comparable prices.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Dalyan
Dalyan
Mugla Province, Turkey
Rendezvous Bistro, Cafe & Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, European, Asian
Dalyan Iz Cafe
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Cafe, Turkish
Efe Bar
$, Bar, Cafe, Turkish
10 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Hi

Sure you will get lots of helpful info from the helpful members of the Forum, but to start you off here are the details for the Animal shelter:

Dalyan Animals

dalyananimals.org/?page_id=67

The shelter is open on Wednesday and Saturday 10.00.to 13.00, the directions are on the website and on Facebook under Dalyan Animal Welfare. The taxis near to the tourist information can take you there.

A favourite restaurant of ours is Heybe they do a fantastic Ottaman chicken - and they love animals - always a plus for us. Not totally romantic but great food.

We have heard good things about The Riverside, right on the river but we are not out until September so cannot give a first hand report.

For any local info pop into Volkans Adventures on the main street, his tours/trips are fantastic and he or his partner Lisa Cranney will steer you towards the best restaurants etc. They are super friendly and super knowledgeable.

Hope you enjoy yourself

Mentioned in this post
Dalyan
Dalyan
Mugla Province, Turkey
manchester
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

A lovely seafood restaurant is Saffron right on the river we were there a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Re margarita cocktails...the only cocktail I like. They tend to use lime cordial which is awful. Latika cage do real ones and Casanova restaurant on the river do lovely pomegranate margaritas. Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Saffron
Saffron
602 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Leicester
Level Contributor
338 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Merhaba,

Our favourite restaurant for Meze is Saki, it is located overlooking the tombs down next to the Tea Gardens. No menu as such you just choose the fresh products of the day from the fridge. Probably best to book in advance as popular with locals and tourists.

Iyi yolculuklar.

Mentioned in this post
Saki
Saki
498 Reviews
Dalyan, Turkey
Leicester
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

I can only help with the leather sandals. We were advised by a local to go to a tiny little shop next to the barbers at turtle roundabout. He made my sister-in-law a pair from scratch. He measured her feet so they were customed made and she loved them. This was October 2016 and I think she paid about the equivalent of £30 when the rate was about 3.75TYL to the £. I hope he's still there, maybe someone could advise.

Hyde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

For the restaurant I would suggest Balikim the fisherman this was originally a fish shop that has now opened as a restaurant and fish shop. We ate there last month and the food was delicious, I don't think there is a menu, we just explained what we liked and left it to the waiter. I wouldn't say it was the most romantic setting, but from a food point of view it was top class. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Thanks so much for the very useful replies. I'll write next week and let you know what we get up to.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

@Nuclear Brit - what an excellent website Dalyan Animals is. I've downloaded some educational materials since I work with schools all over Turkey. I'll print some off and use them. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dalyan
Dalyan
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

I also would suggest that Saki would meet your restaurant requirements: most excellent selection of delicious mezes, I don't think there is a menu - or even if there is, go and look at what they have in the chilled displays. Certainly Turkish and not international fare. I have only ever been at lunch though - but imagine the setting would be romantic - at the side of the river, opposite the tombs.... and not much else either side so you should be saved from too much noise!

Mentioned in this post
Saki
Saki
498 Reviews
Dalyan, Turkey
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Hanedan steakhouse for your meal.

sussex
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!

Bump for Dalyan Animals.

Mentioned in this post
Dalyan
Dalyan
Mugla Province, Turkey
Reply to: One night in Dalyan - lots of questions!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
;