We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in to Joburg from Gabs - will I have enough time?

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in to Joburg from Gabs - will I have enough time?

Hi - my son and I are flying from Gaborone to Joburg to catch a flight to Sydney which leaves at 7.10pm. Do I need to get the flight which arrives in Joburg at 4.15pm (which would mean a 3 hour wait) or can we make it on the flight which arrives at 6.10pm which only gives us one hour. Don't think we should have to go through customs as we're in transit? And our luggage should go straight through to Sydney as we're flying SAA to Joburg and they are aligned with Qantas (our airline to Sydney). Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in to Joburg from Gabs - will I have enough time?

" Do I need to get the flight which arrives in Joburg at 4.15pm (which would mean a 3 hour wait) or can we make it on the flight which arrives at 6.10pm which only gives us one hour."

You will effectively have only about 30 minutes, because it will take about 30 minutes from touchdown to get disembarked, and into the terminal, by which time your Sydney flight will be boarding.

You won't have to go through customs, but even if you check luggage through, and are in transit, I reckon this is insufficient time, because there is a document / biometric check.

What if the incoming flight from Gaberone is even a few minutes late??

I would not take the chance.

Rather take the earlier flight.

There is a lounge in the transit area, where you can relax for the two (not three) hours that you'll have in hand between disembarking your Gaberone flight, and embarking your Sydney flight.

This is called the Ses'Fikile Lounge

Look here:

ortambo-airport.com/airport/…lounges.php

Good luck

Edited: 22 August 2017, 22:32
Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in to Joburg from Gabs - will I have enough time?

Thanks, yes i think we will take your advice and get the earlier flight to be safe. I'm now wondering about his incoming flight to joburg 2 weeks earlier. Flight from Sydney arrives at 5pm (Qantas) and flight to Gabs leaves at 6.45 (south African airlines). Not sure if Qantas will book the bags right through to Gabs or not...if they will I think it's doable. If not.....?

Reply to: Flying in to Joburg from Gabs - will I have enough time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted