We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa to Change Planes

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Transit Visa to Change Planes

Hello Everyone i will be traveling from Maputo to India and in between i have to change plane in Johannesburg, from Lam to Emirates do i need a transit visa to change planes?

Someone told me that in Johannesburg we need transit visa even though we just have to change plane, is it correct ?

I am holding an Indian Passport.

Please someone help me.

78 replies to this topic
Vientiane, Laos
1 post
Save Reply
71. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Is transit visa still required for a traveller(Philppines passport holder) who have connecting flight from Johannesburg airport to Namibia?

4 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Steve,

How sure are you about this?

A transit visa is no longer required when transiting JNB on way to neighboring countries. You don't need one.

Edited: 26 August 2017, 11:24
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Very sure. Nonexempt passengers used to need a transit visa on the way through JNB to neighboring countries. That was changed in IMMIGRATION DIRECTIVE NO 28 OF 2015.

4 posts
Save Reply
74. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Steve

Thanks. I have to travel to Namibia from US next week. Best flight connections I can get are via JNB airport .

Do you know anyone with first hand experience that has recently transited through JNB?

CIBT website still says that Transit visa is required if traveling to neighboring countries.

https://cibtvisas.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

There may be other visa service companies as well that are wrong or have not updated their info. The policies of the S.A. gov't of course supersede what visa companies say.

Below is the link to the organization that handles visas for S.A. It clearly states transit visas are not required for transiting JNB.

vfsglobal.com/southafrica/…transit_visa.html

Incidentally, what passport do you travel with?

4 posts
Save Reply
76. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Indian passport

Will be flying out of washington to JNB and connecting to Windhoek

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Until the Directive I cited, you would have needed a transit visa. No longer.

4 posts
Save Reply
78. Re: Transit Visa to Change Planes

Thanks Steve

Reply to: Transit Visa to Change Planes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted