We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
14 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

My wife and I are Belgian and look forward to a 4-night stay in Mantuma Camp. But to get there, I can see several routes lead to the camp - and reports say most are bad. Coming from the north via N2, what might be the best/easiest route. It doesn't have to be the shortest way to get there. Thanks in advance for your advice.

5 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

I’m only aware of one entrance into the park at the Mkuze exit from the N2. Last time I took that road, conditions were terrible but hopefully since they’ve done some upgrades in the park, the access road is improved too. But give yourself plenty of time and drive slowly.

4 nights is a very long time in uMkhuze. It might be better to split that time with Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park.

Mentioned in this post
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

As Cbir has said the road leading from the N2 to the Mkuze Gate is really bad towards the end of it - but if you drive slowly it is no problem. The roads inside Mkuze have recently been re-done and are in great condition , as well as the many animal hides which you can easily spend a few hours at especially in our winter time. I was there in late April and it's my favorite park in the area. If you coming from the north you can also turn off at the town of Mkuze, and stock up on food as the shop in the park is really really limited. From the town of Mkuze you have a 20minute drive to the gate. Enjoy

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
14 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

Thanks for your advice. Coming from Ithala Game Reserve, we will pass Mkuze. Are there any road signs around the town? I know there is one farther to the south, near D464-road, but the approach is much longer.

Thanks for further information.

Mentioned in this post
Ithala Game Reserve
Ithala Game Reserve
78 Reviews
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

Hello and I was there last year staying in Mkuze Town. I didn't use the road last year that heads east straight overland, but if I remember correctly that was/is a dirt road. You could head up to Pongola and get on the N2? The roads through Mkuze town were fine and the roads in the reserve were all regraded and improved last year.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Mentioned in this post
Pongola
Pongola
Zululand, South Africa
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
14 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp

Thanks to all of you - and in particular Alexis - for your help which is greatly appreciated.

Reply to: uMkhuze Game Reserve - Best route to Mantuma Camp
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about KwaZulu-Natal