We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

HI All

And apologies if I'm appearing as a ignorant so and so, We are planning a 3 week trip to South Africa and are planning to stay a week in Umhlanga. We have been warned about the personal safety issues of Jo berg. We would like to check that this is not the case in Durban and the area around Umhlanga. Do we have to get a taxi from point to point or can we walk or take public transport.

Rich

47 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

"... the personal safety issues of Johannesburg" ...?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

ie don't use public transport only use taxi's organised by your hotel. Go point to point via said taxie'

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

Public transport isn't much good anywhere in this country. By and large, anyone who can afford to do so, drives their own vehicle.

There are a lot of threads on the SA forum/s about broader safety issues - you may want to have a bit of a browse.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

we stayed in Umhlanga earlier this year , a staff member at our hotel advised to be back in the hotel by 9.30pm!.

The reality was very different, crowds of people enjoying themselves in the village with families still sitting on the beach at 10pm ( February) . We found Kwa Zulu to be much more relaxed than the Cape where we have been for the last 3 years.

Durban, sea front however, we found shabby and run down with what looked like vagrants hanging around during the day. To be fair, we didn't even bother to stop so perhaps we made an unfair judgement .

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

From what I have read, the central and 'tourist' areas of Durban are fairly safe and violent crime is rare. The main problem there is petty crime such as pick pocketing. Use some big city precautions to counter it such as money belt attached to clothing, and taking out only as much cash as you can afford to lose.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

violent crime in SA is rarely against tourists and I would think you would have as much chance in being pick pocketed in London , Buenos Aires or Barcelona .

Is there a reason you plan to stay for one week in Umhlanga? Although I thought it was better than Durban , it is really nothing special compared with other places in Kwa Zulu. I would try to fit in a few days in St. Lucia and the Midlands Meander/Drakensberg Mountains rather than 7 days in Umhlanga.

Always ask your accommodation hosts on which areas to avoid walking.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

Issues of crime and personal safety reguarly appear on the RSA forum. Locals and To's must get sick of them but the replies are almost invariably calm and patient response. I remember reading at least 2 posts several months ago where SA posters compared SA cities with Baltimore. Inronically Baltimore is now in the news for all the wrong reasons. Naturally, this has affected tourism to Maryland's largest city and is a topic in US forums.

I recently pasted a column by one of America's greatest commentators re his experience of living in Baltimore during the good old days 15-20 yrs ago. Well you'll see they have had massive issues even back then. RSA has probs with crime and corruption, but i'd rather live in downtown Joburg than Baltimore anyday.

You can reference Bonner's piece here:

tripadvisor.com.au/…66285558

2 posts
8. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

I just wanted to find out how your trip to Durban was? We are looking into visiting the area for a week in December.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

If it's the second half of December prepare yourself for peak summer holiday season crowds ... and prices.

2 posts
10. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

it is infact for new years...I dont mind the crowds of people so much. but quite anxious about the safety.

Reply to: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted