We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

san diego
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

Hi everyone,

I've decided the last part of my South Africa trip will be 5 nights in Kruger National Park. I'm going with a tour group for 3 nights, preceded by two nights at a private lodge, based on how my travel dates fall.

The choices of private lodge offered are Gomo Gomo and Mohlabetsi, which I understand to be economical options for private lodges. I'm sure either will be great, but I'm trying to get input on choosing one over the other.

1. Mohlabetsi is 4-star rated, with slightly better reviews than Gomo Gomo.

2. Gomo Gomo is 3-star rated, and the accommodations list air conditioning, while Mohlabetsi states they have fans.

3. Early to mid December could get quiet warm, and I want to be comfortable.

I have read the reviews and they are quite good for both places. Would anyone else share my concern about fans vs. a/c? Are there other factors which should be considered?

Thanks ! ! !

:D

Mentioned in this post
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 14 Speciality lodging in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 22 Speciality lodging in Balule Nature Reserve
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
#1 of 7 Speciality lodging in Manyeleti Game Reserve
7 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

Hmm. Tough one. Both have a waterhole, both are family friendly. Better food at Mohlabetsi maybe, both have about equal number of beds. Mohlabetsi has a traversing area twice the size of GG. GG is in Klaserie, Mohlabetsi is in Balule - does that matter? If the a/c is a deal breaker (it could be very hot in December but check the historical weather), go with GG. If not, toss a coin. Both will be excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Klaserie Private Game...
Kruger National Park, South Africa
san diego
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

I just called Mohlabetsi directly after viewing their own website. They said they do in fact have a/c, so that may settle it.

The issue of "traversing area" had not even remotely occurred to me. That is one of the things that is so great about this forum and I thank you.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

Mohlabetsi is known for its 'hands-on' management by the owners, Alma & Tony.. They bring an extra dose of energy and experience to your visit to their lodge. It would be my choice.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

I would go to Gomo Gomo as the vehicle movement over their 6000 HA traversing is more likely to produce animals which is why I go to the park. The Management couples don’t factor into my decision as they are all nice people.

Klaserie reserve lodges have made strides in last 3 years and I would be cautious of advice from those that are not well connected to the top lodges in that reserve.

Mentioned in this post
Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Klaserie Private Game...
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

We stayed at gomo gomo for 4 nights a few years ago - excellent sitings and very comfortable accommodation. Would certainly choose it again (we always try to stay at 2 different lodges per visit) but there was never availability for our reqd dates ( i never book too far in advance ).

Certainly recommended in its price range.

san diego
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

Thanks everyone, I made a final decision on Mohlabetsi before all the replies were in. I'm sure it will be fine. It just goes to show what an incredible number of options there are.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December

Looking forward to hearing about your stay there as we will also be staying there.

Enjoy! It looks magical!

Reply to: Gomo Gomo vs Mohlabetsi? Two Nights in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park