We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Hello

My husband and I and our two boys aged 20 and 12 are flying from UK into Joberg on 22 March 2018 and we are looking at renting a car and driving to Kruger. Is this possible and safe?

Ive been reading the forums and I'm totally confused by everything. I'm wanting to book 3 nights ( is this enough?) I have no idea where is the best place to stay, which area is the best? I'm ideally looking for somewhere with drives included and meals, I don't like the idea of self drive, id be too scared out there on our own. I'm looking at mid range accommodations.

If anyone could help me that would be great. Id love to be as close to the animals as possible ideally!

many thanks

Kelly :)

13 replies to this topic
pa
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

We went to South Africa in May 2016, I too was afraid of travelling on our own, but I can honestly say we felt safe. We did stay 2 days at Gomo Gomo Lodge we did enjoy that having them drive you around and they also had a waterhole that we watched elephants come into and it was pretty cool! (It was reasonably priced for a safari experience)

We then went to Kruger National Park and did this on our own. I'd also highly recommend that nothing I would be afraid of unless you would try to get out of your car which is a no no! Just driving down the tarred roads we saw the big 5 and many other animals all on our own. You just have to keep your eyes open you can see animals on the roads and off.

Our oldest daughter saw a rare sighting of a leopard in a tree with his kill! The people in the vehicle ahead of us was with a paid tour guide and they drove right buy! We didn't have to pay for anything!

I want to go back someday!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
843 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

I had the same apprehensions prior to my 2014 visit. But Kruger is amazing. Drive around and watch the animals. Did it again in 2017.

Not knowledgable about the private reserves, so wont comment on that.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

You have two big strapping sons with you so you WILL be safe... self drive is the best as you go where you want to and stay as long as you like . The main camps like Skukuza and Lower Sabi have fair restaurants and well socked shops . Do as the locals do Braai , and you will never think of going on a guided tour ever

The camps have pools to cool down in and all chalets and huts have aircons and You wont get too hot.

Book soon in fact now now.

www.Sanparks.org and you can change your booking if something becomes available .

Do pop into the forums on Sanparks and it will make things so much clearer.

England
Level Contributor
490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

I'd also seriously consider self drive. Maybe fly into Nelspruit or Skukuza so you don't have so far to drive to Kruger. We visited for the first time last July. We had two nights at a game lodge in KwaZulu-Natal after Kruger, and while very nice I want to go back to self drive in Kruger ( already planning the next two trips! ) I wouldn't bother with a game lodge again.

And you won't be on your own. There are plenty of other cars in Kruger, if you are happy driving around the National Parks in the UK you'll be fine in Kruger, except you'll see lions and impala instead of sheep and rabbits :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

I have some sympathy with the OP. Even though I have been in several private reserves, I have never self driven and I am rather apprehensive about meeting a bad tempered elephant. But I just keep thinking to myself that thousands of people self drive in the Kruger every day and don't come to any harm. Let's see if I survive Christmas Day in The KNP :) :)

I have to say, I like visiting the private reserves. Mainly because of the information that I learn from them and their abilities, plus I like some comforts and having my meals cooked for me. I remember my first safari, I didn't even know what an impala was! There is some good reasoning behind staying at a private reserve first to learn more about the animals and to know what you are spotting. But you don't have to pay mega bucks. More money means more luxury and not better wildlife viewing.

Meezers - I didn't see any elephants in the New Forest a couple of weeks ago, lol

England
Level Contributor
490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

lisasplaces , I know whenever we come back from a wildlife rich country , it takes me a couple of weeks to stop looking for animals lurking in the English trees and hedgerows , there's always a moment of disappointment when I realise that rustling in the tree is a squirrel, not a monkey :)

As for driving around Kruger, it's no more difficult than driving around the New Forest , just replace the ponies with elephants:)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Hello everyone thank you all so much for your replies.

Ok so we've decided to definitely drive from Joberg airport and we've booked 2 nights at Gomo Gomo in Klaserie? Before we do the 2 nights though we thought we'd do 1 night on our way on the Panaroma route?

Does anybody have any recommendations for accommodation on the way on the panaroma route and then also a good self drive camp for after our stay at Gomo

Thanks everyone

pa
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

We stayed at Peace Corner Cottages and also Daan's place (in Graskop ) We were happy with both!

We stayed in Skukuza and Lower Sabie and though not luxury, they were perfect for us! We just needed a place to sleep and shower! We also wanted a camp that had a place to eat since I don't like to cook on vacation!

Also we did one night tour with the rest camps and we felt it was a waste of money, we saw very little and got quite bored after doing the tours at Gomo Gomo!

You will see plenty driving yourselves, but get up early! It seemed like we saw the Lions etc in the early hours and elephants and giraffes a little later!

We took our 26 and 28 yr old kids and they were our extra eyes so put your boys to work! :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Hello

Thanks, ok so this is what we've booked so far

Arrive Joberg airport 22nd March hire car and drive to a lodge in Nelspruit for 1 night.

Following morning drive to Klasserie to stay 2 nights at Gomo Gomo reserve .

25th drive to Skakuza to stay 2 nights in a guest cottage

We are then thinking of flying from kruger to either port Elizabeth or George? Then pick up a car again to do the garden route. Could we get a flight from anywhere near kruger or would we need to drive back to Joberg airport?

Thank you for your help

pa
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

We flew out of Nelspruit,but we just flew back to Johannesburg. I'm not sure where all they fly to., I believe there is another airport in the park?

Reply to: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted