We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Hello

My husband and I and our two boys aged 20 and 12 are flying from UK into Joberg on 22 March 2018 and we are looking at renting a car and driving to Kruger. Is this possible and safe?

Ive been reading the forums and I'm totally confused by everything. I'm wanting to book 3 nights ( is this enough?) I have no idea where is the best place to stay, which area is the best? I'm ideally looking for somewhere with drives included and meals, I don't like the idea of self drive, id be too scared out there on our own. I'm looking at mid range accommodations.

If anyone could help me that would be great. Id love to be as close to the animals as possible ideally!

many thanks

Kelly :)

Mentioned in this post
3 Day Classic Kruger National Park...
1 Review
from US$733.30*
Free Cancellation
3 Day Lodge and Treehouse Kruger...
from US$695.10*
Free Cancellation
5 Day Classic Kruger National Park...
1 Review
from US$924.40*
Free Cancellation
13 replies to this topic
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

A good combination of private reserve and national park.

I’m not aware of any direct flights from the Kruger regional airports to George or PE, but happy to be corrected.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

They fly from Skukuza air port and Nelspruit direct to Cape Town

Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kruger National Park March 2018 accomodation help please

Hi Kelly,

I answered you on the other thread, but I saw this one today. You have planned an excellent itinerary for the Kruger part of your trip. Even though you still have a lot of time to plan the details, I will share some more of my ideas - I hope you don't mind.

An overnight stay in Nelspruit is a good idea. Gomo Gomo should be a very fine introduction into game viewing. The rangers/guides will share their knowledge and give you some tips how to find the animals. A game drive in an open safari vehicle with a knowledgeable guide is something very special - to me one of the best holiday experiences there are.

On the last night in Gomo Gomo, ask the kitchen to prepare a lunch packet for you, so that you can skip breakfast and leave immediately after the morning game drive. I suppose this will be @9-9.30am. Drive to Orpen Gate, I suppose you will get there around 10.30am.

Drive straight to Satara (H7). This is a tar road and one of the best in Kruger. You will see a lot of game there already. This will probably take 2.5h, so you will arrive at the right time for lunch. The drive to Skukuza can take 3-4 hours, so try to be on the road again by 2pm at the latest to arrive before 6pm. Drive on tar roads (H1-3 and H1-2) to Skukuza.

The next day do your game drives in the area.

The day you leave, I would suggest the following. Leave the camp at 6am at the latest. Early morning are the best time for game viewing. Drive down the H-3 to "Afsaal picnic site" which should take around 2 hours. They should serve breakfast there. Then continue the H-3 to Malelane Gate, this should take an hour. Aim to be there @9.30-10am. From there it is a 4 hours drive to Johannesburg airport. You should arrive at the airport at around 2.30pm (including a short lunch break - have burgers or something in a petrol station along the motorway). Return your car and take the 4.20pm flight to Port Elizabeth. I think this is the most sensible and the most economical way to do it. And it will add 3 more hours of game driving on your last day in Kruger.

Arrive in Port Elizabeth, take a hotel/guesthouse/lodge with a restaurant or a restaurant in short walking distance. You will be exhausted. Have supper, have a good night's sleep and continue to the Garden route and Cape Town the next morning. Don't miss Tsitsikamma/Storm River Mouth on the way there, a very scenic place with a special atmosphere.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Cape Town