We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

Bombay
Level Contributor
182 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

Hi,

We are scheduled to land in Johannesburg next Saturday evening and will be in South Africa for 9 days....this is a last minute decision and frankly nothing has been booked other than tickets

We would like to take this chance to do a 2 day (or a 3day trip) to Kruger

The panoramic route in a self driven car

Whale watching in Hermanus

Shark Cage diving nearby

Capetown and maybe a trip to the vineyards

Cape of Good Hope.....

Now come the Qs (please indulge)

How can we do a safari - i understand this as game seeking drives on a hope and prayer.... would love to see the Big 5 [do not look down upon us :) ]..... what we want are great drivers in good vehicles and knowledgeable rangers....we are not picky about luxury nights in expensive linens, labelled wine, etc. Any safari companies that can be suggested or hotels which do a good job of organising in case we stay with them. We would need to travel from Johannesburg....

I have a budget of about 500-600USD for the two of us....is this okay or low?

Your views please

Regards

Tanya

Outlook Safaris
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
5 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
846 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

9 days for Panoramic-Kruger + Cape Town. Assuming 3 days in Cape Town and you will fly to Cape town after you finish Panormaic- Kruger

Cape Town - I am told Shark cage diving is a whole day affair inclusive of drive, Boat trip to diving point and back.

Not sure if your budget is for whole trip or just Kruger. Even with the budget mentioned for just Kruger, you should still self drive inside Kruger. It is great value. Register at sanparks.org and look at camps. Given about 4 days for Kruger, I will suggest 2 days in South (Pick from Skukuza/LowerSabie/BergNDal) and 2 days in Central (Satara/Olifants/Orpen)

Bombay
Level Contributor
182 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

Hi,

Many Thanks for your suggestions

I went to sanparks.org and there is accommodation available at many of the locations

So the new plan is as follows:

1) Arrive at 4pm in Johannesburg

2) Pick a car at the airport

3) Drive to Hazyview....Stay in a camp as chosen

4) Drive around the panoramic route

5) Drive back to Johannesburg. Drop the car. Board flight to Cape Town

I have a few queries

1) I have read a number of posts praising self drive inside the parks. I am a bit worried that we may not know what we are doing or where we need to be looking for what. Would there be Tour Operators who we can join just for the safaris? If yes, where do we meet these folks? What could the approximate costing be around per person per drive?

2) Are the parks located inside Kruger? Once inside, do we need to pay the daily entrance charge....

Regards,

Tanya

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

When you enter the Park you buy a very inexpensive map that has a lot of advice etc . the Sanparks do early morning drives and Sunset and night drives in their open sided vehicle . You can book when you arrive in camp. Yes you do pay a daily conservation fee

Please look up the official site www.SANPARKS.org and check the forums etc for lots more information If you are in the Greater Kruger you are not in the Kruger National Park proper The camps in the Park are run by Sanparks apart from several concessions that you will find on the Sanparks website . Those outside are all privately owned

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
846 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

You really need to read the top pinned post in the forum.

Kruger national Park is government run which is self drive and some game drives organized by the Sanparks from the rest camps.

Hazyview is still about an hour plus away from the park. When you stay at the rest camps, you are inside the park, separated (or protected) from the wildlife by an electric fence.

If you go to Sanparks - Kruger National Park facebook page, there may be local guides who can drive with you or take you around as a guide. But it is not going to be cheap.

But there is no need to it. If you are fond of animals and birds, it is just about driving slowly and looking for them. I can understand the apprehension, but trust me you will see a lot of animals.

As mentioned above, buy the map when you enter and find your way to the camp where you have reservation.

About your plan, where are you flying from ? How long is the flight ? if you are driving at 4 pm, it will be 6 pm once you finish customs/immigration/car rental and get started. Hazyview may be a longer drive. You might want to look at staying near the airport and driving out the next morning OR drive to Nelspruit and stay for the night.

You can start the Kruger part next day.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks

You can fly direct from Skukuza or Hoedspruit to Cape Town to avoid the drive both ways to JNB. Sure, it will be little more expensive but so much more convenient (and no added petrol expense, tolls, etc). Rent from Avis/Budget as they have outlets in all of those locations.

You pay the conservation fee each day you enter or if staying in the park, for each night you stay. Get the map but know the roads are well marked at all intersections with KM and direction to the nearest camps. You won't get lost.

Be sure to book accommodations with a bathroom and kitchenette/utensils included. I stay in main rest camps so I can choose to cook or go out for meals.With just 3 nights (2 is definitely NOT enough!!) you might stay in one rest camp and explore from there. Or if 4 nights, and more is better, choose 2 that are within driving distance of each other. Stay in at least one in the southern part of the park.

Depending on when you land at JNB, Dullstroom might be a good destination that first night if Graskop or Hazyview are too far. Unless we land early in the day, we spend that first night at an airport hotel, get a good night sleep and get out early right after breakfast.

I prefer doing safari last - it's the highlight and I like to save the best for last!! Start in Cape Town, stay for however long you choose, then fly to Skukuza or Hoedspruit direct from CPT and enjoy Kruger. You can do the Panorama Route (I don't think you have time) on your way to JNB. To me, it flows better that way too. No rushing on that first day and you can unwind in Cape Town after the long flights.

Reply to: Kruger - 2/3 day trip - In 2 weeks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park