We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

Hello

I was in Exeter Leadwood in Sept 2007 and looking forward for another trip next year to SA, probably Kruger. I remember at the time there was a difference between September and October prices. Is that still the case? And what would the difference be?

Very early October would work WAY better for me than September. I know that rain also starts sometime in October as well. Should I worry about that?

My third option is May but October would be the best. Thanks!

Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 14 Speciality lodging in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
#1 of 7 Speciality lodging in Manyeleti Game Reserve
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 16 Speciality lodging in Balule Nature Reserve
5 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

Seasonal rates have disappeared with very few exceptions.

Leadwood is now part of what is called the Dulini Collection - will have undergone a serious facelift by the time you would. be traveling - and is one of the more expensive lodges in the country.

Rack rate this year for a couple - R30,800 per night. Just over CAD$3000 pie night.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

OMG, what a change. I digged what I paid back in September 2007: R32,000 for BOTH of us for 4 nights INCLUDING flights from JNB. True it was 11 years ago but still.... Back then it equated to $4200 CAD.

Realistically how much should I expect to pay (not rack rates, but through an agent) for a good Lodge of that calibre? Any recommendations?

The good news is that there is no seasonal uplift. Is early October a good time for Kruger?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

There are a few specials in May. Mohlabetsi is one. Check Tintswalo - they run a special I think in November?

If concerned about cost, there are lots of great lodges at much better rates.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

There aren’t many seasonal rates anymore, Lion Sands can sometimes have better rates in November and Tintswalo as mentioned above but they often only release those specials much closer to the time or when they see low occupancy so if booking in advance you won’t always get them.

There are many great lodges across many price ranges so a budget might help narrow it down.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October

Why through an agent? If you know where you want to stay, just book it yourself. It won’t cost more or less either way.

Some nice lodges closer to your budget include Arathusa, Motswari (Geiger’s if in budget), Kambaku and Senalala. There are many more but those are a few of them. Let us know if any of those fit your travel style and needs.

You could go explore a different region. Head to Phinda or one of the Manyoni Reserve lodges in KwaZulu Natal on the east coast. Then enjoy the Indian Ocean, beautiful mountains and great nature (and more) nearby. Easy to reach from Durban or drive from JNB.

Reply to: Prices for Lodges in Kruger in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted