We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIrst time to South Africa

Laurencekirk...
Level Contributor
414 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
FIrst time to South Africa

Hi I’m at early stages of planning a trip in April 2020 for 12 days total - at moment I’m thinking flying emirates from Glasgow to scape town and spending 8/9 days there then can I fly from here to Kruger National Park and get collected and taking to a game reserve lodge for say 3 nights then how do I get back to uk - hotels in Cape Town be easy enough to research but I’m struggling with flight itinerary (where to fly into and where to fly back to for getting home to uk plus not looking to pay through the roof for a lodge and game drives but wish for reasonable rates ? Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
690 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FIrst time to South Africa

Well you need to have an idea of what your budget will be or each day/night on safari...

By choosing to stay at a private lodge your price point generally starts much higher than those self-driving...

Your budget will determine what area you will have choices in, and therefor determine which airport will be closer to that lodge....

What are you planning to do in cape town for 9 days? I'd go a week a in Cape Town, and maybe add a day or two to kruger (just my opinion)...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: FIrst time to South Africa

I'm assuming this is a follow on from your previous thread?

As above. Posting a budget for this trip would be very useful. Recommending a lodge without knowing the budget is difficult.

I'm assuming that you've read the pinned post on how to do Kruger and have decided on the private reserves?Lodges in the private reserves will start around £200 pppn.

8/9 days in Cape Town is a long time. I can't remember if you said you were doing the garden route or not in that time? If not I would add on more days to the safari portion.

The closest airport to Kruger for flying back to the UK is Johannesburg. You have two options, either drive back or fly from one of the 3 Kruger airports (Nelspruit, Hoedspruit or Skukuza). Which you chose will probably be more dependant on your lodge - Most likely Hoedspruit.

So either look to book a multi city ticket into cape town and out of Hoedspruit or Joahnnesburg. Just do a price check and see which is cheaper.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FIrst time to South Africa

Fly to johannesburg for Kruger and get a connection or drive. You can fly direct between Cape Town and the three Kruger airports. JNB and CPT are the only international airports that are near your itinerary destinations. Fly internationally in and out of those.

Reply to: FIrst time to South Africa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted