We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Oxford
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Hi all,

I'm visiting Kruger in November. I have 4 nights in Skukuza, 2 in Satara and 2 in Tamboti.

I'm looking at booking some drives. A couple of questions:

1. Any advice on how to mix up a few drives in the locations above and at which times are best (Sunrise, Sunset, Night)? I don't necessarily want to do a drive every day but if i were to do around 5 or 6 overall what would you recommend?

2. What are the temperatures like in November on the sunrise and night drives? Is it still warm or does it get a bit chilly?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

7 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

November should be warm so should be comfortable in all drives.

Here is the link to the drives related info on Sanparks page

https:/…drives.php

Skukuza/Satara drives are on larger vehicles so you can signup based on your day's drives. Tamboti could be on smaller vehicle and combines folks from Orpen camp as well. so may have to sign up earlier. For me, Best part of Tamboti is sitting at camp and listening to bush.

I think sunset drives leave an hour before gate close and come back in 3 hours. Sign up by early afternoon.

Night drives leave at 8 PM. sign up by gate close time.

Morning drive leaves, i think, an hour or so before gate open, so that will be a good one to be one.

My preference is Morning and sunset drives.

Oxford
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Thank you for your help Rob, much appreciated.

Mark

Level Contributor
199 posts
3. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Sounds like a fun trip.

To me 5-6 camp drives sounds like too much, but everyone is different. I would maybe aim for one at each camp, plus a walk? Sunset drives are good and give you a taste of driving around in the dark. I didn’t really enjoy the night part of the sunset drive, so didn’t bother signing up for the night drives.

I found it much more fun to self- drive and come across the animals myself, which is why I recommend not too many camp drives- but like I said everyone is different! Since you have 8 nights I would also recommend to give yourself a good day or two at the start to try to find and experience the different animals yourself before you do a camp drive- I did a morning camp drive on my first day in Kruger, and while I did see a lot, I kinda wish I had seen all those animals for the first time by myself on a self-drive, rather than on a camp bus.

Enjoy!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Bring a light jacket in case you need it.

I always recommend walks and drives early in your stay. That way if you enjoy them, you can add more as you choose. If you don't, you can skip them. Sunset drives and morning walks at any or all camps allow for things you can’t do on your own. Night drives are too late for me with the before dawn wake ups and as above, not necessarily my thing. I’ve followed the morning drives out of the gate so I don’t do those - I can do it on my own.

Personally, 4 nights in that mid area of Kruger is a bit much. I’d include a couple of nights north of there. But all of those camps are great game viewing. Be sure to do a good shop before you enter the park for a cooler box and produce (and more).

Oxford
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Thanks Philip, I'm definitely planning on doing lots of self drives too. Appreciate the advice, Mark

Oxford
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

Thanks cbir, I hadn't realised you could get out of the gate at the same time as the morning drives so following the truck is a great tip! Best, mark

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?

No, I didn’t mean to follow them - you can go out at the same time though.

Reply to: Official camp drives - when and temperatures?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted