We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question - rental cars

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
257 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
question - rental cars

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Kruger in November and will rent a car. I am looking at prices right now. Is an economy car ok, or is a larger vehicle recommended?

Thanks!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question - rental cars

In November the vegetation should still be fairly dry and fairly open. A normal sedan will be fine.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
257 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question - rental cars

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Cape Town, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question - rental cars

Hi there!

Using a small car is fine for driving in Kruger - the roads are either tarred or well maintained gravel roads so you won't need a hardcore 4x4.

I just chatted to Charlynn from DriveSouthAfrica.com and she gave me an estimated price for hiring a small car for pick up from Kruger Mpumalanga Airport:

If you're an international traveller an estimated price per day is R232, and if you're a domestic traveller (from South Africa) then you can expect to pay about R246 per day.

Prices drop the more days you rent the vehicle for, so for example if you book for 7 days you will pay about R220 per day if you're an international traveller.

All these prices exclude things like insurance and extras - they're just a ball park figure you can work with :-)

I've heard that Kruger Mpumalanga Airport is the best place to pick up your car rental because it is closest to the Sabi Sands Game Reserve - not sure where which part you are headed to.

If you're not sure how to get to kruger, I found a pretty awesome guide with all the gates and roads in it. How to get to kruger: discoverafrica.com/blog/how-to-get-to-kruger/

Hope this helps!

4. Re: question - rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park