We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

We'll be in Hazyview next week. Since Phabeni gate is closed (indefinitely?) due to the rain, we will have to use Numbi gate. What are the road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi? We will be using a standard hatchback vehicle (not an SUV).

19 replies to this topic
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Not a problem at all. The road has been re-surfaced to where you turn left to Numbi Gate.

The following stretch is ok.

You could also use Kruger Gate.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Thanks Klaus. Are there any safety concerns with using Numbi? I've seen some posts on the Sanparks forum but they are from 2015. Would we be better off using Kruger gate?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Kruger Gate is a longer drive, but has been less troubled with protests in the past. But Numbi Gate is also fine most of the time.

I would see when you are here and listen to the locals advise. They normally are up to date. We have got a huge whatsapp group that keeps each other in the industry informed about problems, roads, protest, floods, etc.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 14 March 2016, 00:54
bolton ouest
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Hi Klaus. We are going to be there at the end of April and San Parks is telling us to avoid the R538. Since will be coming from White River, do you think the road will be OK till Numbi Gate? Or should we go by the R40 and Hazyview? Or maybe Malelane is also a good option?

Thanks

Solange

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

we have not driven the 538 since some time, but last time we did, it was ok and already mostly finished.

That is about 2 months ago.

What I now do not understand, you say you will be staying in Hazyview.

Driving from WR to Hazyview you would take the R40 best anyway,

Klaus

Edited: 16 March 2016, 04:03
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

A March 3rd 2016 post on the sanparks KNP forum:

I travelled the numbi road from white river a month ago. The road surface is great once you pass peebles but bad potholes for a few kms before that. The road has been resurfaced through the settlement area and is widened to two lanes in some areas to allow for easier overtaking but lacking in actual road markings. Overall a definite improvement from what it was.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

just found that:

Dear Valued stakeholders

Phabeni Gate and Low Water Bridge on the road S1 from Phabeni Gate will be accessible from Friday, 18 March 2016; Phabeni Gate and the road S1 were closed due to damage on the low water bridge caused by floods last week Wednesday, 09 March 2016.

Regards

Lesley Nyawo

johannesburg
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Is the road from white river to numbi now fixed and ok to use? We visiting kruger on 1 July.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Currently still work being done on the White River - Numbi road. I would recommend you drive WR - Hazyview - Numbi. (Or enter through Phabeni Gate, depending on where in the park you are going to stay.)

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

johannesburg
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate

Thanks Tanya

We are staying at Pretoriuskop and I am worried about getting to the camp before the gates close. Are you saying that from Hazyview to Numbi the road is ok? This will be quicker than us going into the park via Phabeni.

Regards

Reply to: Road conditions from Hazyview to Numbi gate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted