We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Western Cape

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
Save Topic
8 days in Western Cape

Hi,

Me and my Wife will travel in Cape town area during April for 8 days, I have prepared the following plan and wanted to know if it's too much for 8 days and what are the alternatives?

Saturday - Cape town beaches, Table Mountain

Sunday - Cape of Good Hope tour (sleeping in Cape Town)

Monday April 4th – Going to Stellenbosch, staying at one of the B&B there

Tuesday April 5th – Traveling to Hermanus

Wednesday April 6th – Shark Cage Diving tour, sleeping in Hermanus (2nd night)

Thursday April 7th – Driving to Knysna, staying there for a night

Friday April 8th - Driving to Addo Elephant resort early morning,sleeping in the park

Saturday April 9th - sleeping at Addo camp

Sunday April 10th - Driving to Port Elizabeth airport in the morning and catching a flight to JHB

Thanks,

Alon

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Unless you really really want to do the shark diving I wouldn't bother with two nights in Hermanus - as it is from Stellenbosch you should get to Hermanus or Gaansbai in time to do the shark dive and only stay one night in Hermanus.

This would give you extra time in either Cape Town itself or maybe another night in the Winelands (either Stellenbosch or Franschhoek as you don't seem to mind living out of a suitcase). An extra night in Cape Town would increase your chances of gettiing up TM as the cable car is weather dependent (especially the wind) and give you more time to explore one of the world's most attractive cities and maybe get over the flight

The rest seems fine - it is whistlestop but then you will soon realise you have to go back - if you have not yet booked Addo, do so now

Edited: 20 March 2011, 22:19
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Hermanus is one of the very best (upmarket) seaside towns in South Africa

It is the whale watching capital of South Africa, there are beautiful beaches, great restaurants and amazing mountain scenery.

It is my favourite town in the country.

I always stay at Pacem holiday house (www.eirene.co.za)

The last time my wife and I paid something like $80 for both of us in the Pacem 4 star holiday cottage.

It is not right on the beach, but the beach is a mere 5 minutes away. There are (much more expensive) hotels on the beach.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 00:08
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Hi Alon,

A very busy (but not too busy) itinerary, and one that covers a nice cross section of the Western Cape must sees.

While Hermanus is absolutely beautiful, it is still quite small and I agree with Belfast Taxman that it might be an idea to stay the one night in Hermanus (do the travel and the diving tour on the same day if possible - it isn't a far drive) and give yourself an extra day in Cape Town to see more of what the city has to offer (eg. Robben Island, Long Street, The Waterfront). I love Hermanus and I can never get enough of it, but if you are trying to maximise your sight seeing time as opposed to relaxing, one day should be fine for Hermanus.

Hope that helps and have a wonderful trip,

HolidayCT

www.rentalsincapetown.com

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Hermanus is a pleasant enough town but in April there will be no whales to be seen

In an eight day tour of the Western Cape already involving wildlife in Addo then IMO there are better places to go

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Hi there just wanted to make a suggestion and I always suggest it as it was a really fascinating place. Others have suggested a night less in Hermanus which I didnt do as it wasnt the season but I did spend overnight in Oudtshoorn which is on the way and has some really good things to see including the cango caves which are stunning. From here you can visit an ostrich farm and even ride one which is a pretty neat experience. One of the best things I did was a visit to a cheetah sanctuary where you can actually go inside the compound and pet the cheetahs. Its a beautiful experience. Apparently cheetahs are the most tame of all the big cats and up close they are really beautiful.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Shalom Alon - Firstly its possible you might not have beach weather in Cape Town the day you want to spend on the beaches BUT there is so much to see that I agree with everyone else - try and spend more time in Cape Town - In fact what I would suggest is dont even stay overnight in Stellenbosch. SPend the extra day in Cape Town and just go to Stellenbosch for the day and come back to C. Town. Its a mission checking in and out of hotels/b=B's etc and its time consuming. Rather spend the Sat, Sun, Mon and even Tue in Cape Town doing day tours from Cape TOwn such as Table Mountain or Robben Island (both weather dependent) , Stellenbosch, Cape Point with Hout Bay etc., THen do your shark cage diving if you really want to in Hermanus. and then go on to Knysna. Youre doing a lot of schlepping i must say for the short time youre here. Apparantly there is also shark cage diving in Simonstown which is an hour away from Cape Town. Alternatively if you really want to do the shark cage in Hermanus its no longer than 90min. from C.Town to Hermanus. Its a 5 hr drive to Knysna with NO stops en route just for the bet shimush!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Angie

Riding on an ostrich is by no means a "pretty neat experience" - it is simply a horrible one and they do have a nasty bite

Agree with you about the cheetahs though !

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

Hey Alon - what happened to you?!

9. Re: 8 days in Western Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:16