We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria & Pregnancy

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Malaria & Pregnancy

Just found out that I'm pregnant, the week after booking an amazing holiday. I have a friend in Pilansberg who we hope to stay with at their lodge. From there a week by the coast near to Mozambique finally up to Zambia for a few days at the falls. We are due to leave mid May by which time I should be 13 weeks. My question would be what are the risks of going to these places in 'winter' & avoiding taking malaria tablets that would harm the baby. Is treatment available to preganant women if malaria was contracted? Should we think about re arranging places to visit so as not to be in hot spots?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Hi Daniele008

Get advice from your Doctor!!!!!!

Mozambique is a high maleria area.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

I'd also get advice from the specific venues you are planning to visit. We went to the Bazaruto Archipelago (in Mozambique) about a year ago (late March, early April) and although it is very much in a "danger area" we hardly saw a mosquito during our stay there.

Richard Marshall

Nox Rentals

Luxury Camps Bay Vacation Rentals

Edited: 22 March 2011, 15:33
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Talk to your GP in London and follow their recommendations.

Both Mozambique and Zambia are high risk areas.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

In this case I agree with Mfuwe! - and the others.

Definitely you should take medical advice.

Also be aware that, as you say, there is a risk to you and the unborn baby from taking the drugs. However taking these does not then even fully protect you from Malaria - they only reduce the risk. There is then also a real risk to both of you if you catch Malaria. Pregnant Women are in the highest risk category from Malaria and particularly so the unborn baby.

As others say this part of Mozambique and, to a lesser extent the Victoria Falls tourist area of Zambia is a high malaria risk area, May is still the end of the Malaria risk season.

Personally I would change my plans to have an equally great vacation, without any malaria risk, in some of the many other wonderful vacation areas of South Africa which are totally malaria free. But then I'm not a woman - or your doctor!

For wildlife you have a great start with Pilansberg. Then maybe look at the Eastern Cape (Addo National Park or Private reserves). For beaches in May there are fantastic possibilites in KwaZulu Natal both North and South of Durban. In KZN you could addin wildlife parks such as Hluhluwe Imfolozi and Ithala.

Then May in the Drakensberg mountains of KZN is stunning! You could even come to Cape Town - one of the world's greatest vacation cities, no mater what time of year!

Lots of possibilities where you have no need for further medical advice. But if you are 13 weeks pregnant and want to visit the malaria risk areas you mention in Mozambique or Zambia please consult your own doctor, who knows about you plus, prefferably also, a doctor who really understands the risks in this part of Africa.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Eastern Cape
Eastern Cape
South Africa
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
861 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,214 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

A friend of mine found herself in a similar situation. She swapped Kruger for Addo National Park. Had a great holiday and healthy baby some months later.

I agree with the earlier advice. Talk to your doctor and think about what's important to you. Is any holiday that wonderful that its worth taking a risk like this?

Mentioned in this post
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Although I usually advocate Southern Moz, Kruger and Northern Kzn,as low risk areas, in this case I would have to say no don't risk it, as far as I am aware Malaria for pregnant woman has no treatment without affecting the baby. But doctors are your best advice mechanism!.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

I agree with Kim - it' not worth taking the risk!!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Mentioned in this post
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
861 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Thank you for all the advice. My own GP was very vague & wouldn't commit to anything - hence the post. The travel Nurse had no idea other than the telling me the hotspots which I already knew. I have now got an appointment with the hospital for tropical diseases. They only deal with high risk patients & £15 will secure me a 45 min consultation with real experts who can give me real facts on which to make a descion. In the mean time I am researching the areas you suggested in case we need to make a de tour.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Daniele

It could just be the best £15 investment you make for the rest of your life - and your kid's!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Daniele, Once you have been to the hospital for tropical diseases will you please let us know what they say. It will help us advise other would be pregnant tourists. Many thanks!