We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flag a taxi or call?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Flag a taxi or call?

My husband and I are visiting Cape Town in Sept and were wondering what is the taxi system there like. From other forum threads, it seems like we won't have an issue getting a cab to bring us to places and back. We are wondering if we could just easily flag a taxi on the street? We live in Chicago and are used to doing that with so many taxis available cruising the streets in Chicago, but we realize that the system might be different in Cape Town. Are we better off keeping with us on hand the contact number for a local taxi company and then calling them when we need a taxi?

We will be staying at Mandela Rhodes and looking at Google maps, it seems like many of the places we would like to go to at night are within walking distance (we also walk alot in general in Chicago) but not sure if this is advisable in Cape Town. To give you an idea, we probably will spend our evenings at restaurants like 95 Keerom and Savoy Cabbage for dinner, and then checking out Long St nightlife. Are we better off taking a taxi back to the hotel from these places? From the map, it seems like a short walk back to the hotel but if that's not advisable then we'll take a taxi back to the hotel. Also are taxis generally willing to take passengers even if the destination is only about 6 blocks away from the destination?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flag a taxi or call?

I use Excite at least once a week, I find that they are by far the cheapest, especially for longer trips. Also very reliable. They have a minimum charge of R20 and charge R9 per kilometre. The number is 021 448 4444.

12. Re: Flag a taxi or call?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:19