We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
545 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

I would like to fly up to Iguazu Falls, Argentine side only, after arriving in Buenos Aries after a Cape Horn cruise in Feb. 2018. When I look at booking air fare the best price I see for AEP-IGR-AEP is $357 each on despegar.com picking random dates in Dec. 2017. As there would be two of us, by the time we also pay for a hotel for 2 nights, pay for 2 days of park admissions and meals I'm close to $1000 to see the falls. I don't know if it is worth it.

I cannot find a tour company to sell a package that includes the flights at the "locals" rate. I know the Argentine airlines impose a gringo tax on domestic plane tickets purchased by foreigners.

Any suggestions how to get the airfare down to a reasonable level?

8 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

The airfares are going to stay at the levels for non Argentine citizens. However, you may get a better deal on the hotel price with a travel agent. It's worth exploring.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

Non-resident foreigners can get resident prices if you buy at many travel agencies within Argentina, It is essentially a payment issue. If you buy online using a foreign credit-card or buy at an airline office, you pay the non-resident fare. I have done this many years for non-residnet family members and friends using pesos (and sometimes a foreign card), and none of them have problems. Be aware of what a good price is, because some agencies may decide to exploit youas a foreigner and charge more.

Although techncally you may be asked to pay more as a non-resident when showing your passport at check-in, this NEVER actually happens. I say this after talking to dozens of people every year who do this. The fear of being "caught" and having to pay (in reality non-existent) , not much of a risk even if they do decide to enforce the rule (all they can do is ask you to pay the non-resident difference). I have lived in Argentina for more than 10 years, and have not once heard of any non-resident with a resident ticket being challenged at either Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN/Latam. I believe that much of this fear is spread by the airlines, webagents and foreign travel agents for business reasons.

Edited: 18 February 2017, 07:29
Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
429 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

Thanks. So, how do you buy the ticket if not at the airline office? Do you buy it with pesos at the airport? At a travel agent?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

At some travel agents in Argentina, but look around, as some will try to stiff you as a foreigner. Goo dones should be able to get you a price better than the locals price on the airline webpage or even a travelsite.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
429 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

Thank you.

New England
Level Contributor
817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

"Non-resident foreigners can get resident prices if you buy at many travel agencies within Argentina,"

Care to share which travel agencies would provide such a service?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

Buy closer to time. I suggest not trying to fool the system. You never know if you'll get someone who wants to check whether you are entitled to that price. Argentinians pay taxes that subsidize the airlines.

I bought my Dec 2016 tickets about 3 months in advance and paid about $300 each.

Stay at the Sheraton. Do you have any points? You just need to pay park entrance for one day if staying at Sheraton. Plus, you can enter the park at 8 am and almost have it to yourself,

We took an 11 am flight, checked in, and had time to do the Devils Throat. The next day we went on the two lower trails, started at 8 am, didn't see anyone else for almost 90 minutes. We took a 5 pm flight back to AEP. A short time, but that's all we had, and we were happy with it.

8. Re: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2017, 08:22

Reply to: where to get discount airfare to Iguazu as an American?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iguazu National Park