We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

e26
NYC
Level Contributor
200 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

Hello! I am planning to go to Torres del Paine in November. We have already booked our tour and need to arrive in Puerto Natales by Thurs. Nov 8. We will be arriving in El Calafate airport around 2 pm (via Buenos Aires and originating from NYC).

Is there a bus that would take us directly from the airport to Puerto Natales on Wed. Nov 7? If so, how do we book or what is the schedule?

If not, where should we stay in town in El Calafate for one night to catch the bus Thursday morning? Since we will have a very long flight we would prefer somewhere comfy but doesn't need to be luxurious since we are leaving very early the next day!

Also, how much in US dollars should we exchange for pesos? Our TdP trek will be paid for so not sure what else we need cash for. We plan to use credit cards and pre book things when we can. We also plan to go to El Chalten and do a hike there and circle back to El Calafate. We will go to Mendoza at the very end of our trip so it's ok if we have some cash left over but would exchanging $200 US be enough?

Many thanks for advice/tips!

Mentioned in this post
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
El Chalten
El Chalten
Mendoza
Mendoza
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
4 replies to this topic
Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

Hi E26

You file shows you have a lot of travel so I can be brief in answers. You have already been to argentina and El Calafate. PN airport is about the same size of ElCalafate and very new as well. It is not far from town but you will not likely get a bus / transfere to TDP that late in the dat. Stay overnight and the buses leave early in the morning. I rented a car so do not know the bus companies. You will go to the northern entrance of the park but the bus will know. You need to pay cash for the entrance fees. In Pesos of course so you need quite a bit of cash.

You will remember the ATM fees for Argentina and the same rule applies for Chile. You can only take out $200 US at any one time and this Will cost about $650 US in fees. Hence take lots of cash. Take credit cards from 2 different banks as well. Quite often they will not work there.

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Chile
Chile
South America
Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

That should ready $6.50 in fees

California
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

Hello. The latest bus from El Calafate to Puerto Natales that I can find for Wednesday, November 7 is the Turismozaahj bus at 2 PM, so you will be too late for that. There are no buses that go directly from the El Calafate airport to Puerto Natales. Can you arrive anytime on Thursday, November 8 to start your W trek? Does the trek start the morning of November 9? If you need to take a morning bus from El Calafate to Puerto Natales on Thursday, November 8 you can check Bus Sur, Turismozaahj and Cootra (contact them at cootracalafate2@gmail.com or at contacto@cootra.com.ar or through the link below). I don’t believe that Cootra offers buses from El Calafate to Puerto Natales after 2 PM, but you can also contact them about this possibility for Wednesday, November 7.

https://www.bussur.com/?lang=en

https:/…copia-de-pto-natales-el-calafate

http://www.cootra.com.ar/destinosing.html

You will need to bring Chilean pesos for the TdP park entrance fee. Since you can’t always use a credit card, it would be best to bring 21,000 Chilean pesos per person in cash for this entrance fee.

fantasticosur.com/en/…

You will also need to bring 500-600 Argentine pesos per person in cash for the park entrance fee when you visit the Perito Moreno glacier.

If you’re worried about finding enough Argentine pesos for your trip, you can use Travelex to buy some pesos before your trip. The exchange rate is not the best, but at least you don’t need to worry about finding tellers in Argentina or needing more pesos than you are allowed to get through Argentina teller machines.

https:/…currency-exchange-in-new-york-city

Some places to stay in El Chalten and some restaurants there are cash only, so it’s a good idea to bring extra Argentine pesos just in case. When we were in El Chalten in December 2016, the teller machine at the bus station didn’t accept credit cards with chips, but I don’t know if this has changed. We were told that the teller machine at the El Chalten bank accepted credit cards with chips, but we never tried this option. Argentina has some limits as to how much cash you can withdraw from teller machines each day. You can try to get an update through the link below or post a new topic about this on the Tripadvisor Argentina forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31285…

If you need to stay in El Calafate on Wednesday November 7, one place to consider is Posada Karut Josh (cash only, so get enough Argentine pesos in Buenos Aires before you arrive; there are also banks not far from this b&b). The rooms aren’t fancy at all, but the hosts were extremely nice and the host (an Italian) prepared us a really good Italian dinner (a menu with many options) that night. It’s in a quiet neighborhood about 2 blocks from the street that offers banks and grocery stores. They can help you get to the bus station the next morning for your ride to Puerto Natales. Of course, you can also just use Tripadvisor and put in November 7 to see if any other place looks better to you.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31…

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Perito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier
6,233 Reviews
Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
El Chalten
El Chalten
Posada Karut Josh
Posada Karut Josh
332 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
e26
NYC
Level Contributor
200 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I will most likely just stay the night in El Calafate and take the bus in the morning.

The last time I was in Argentina was in 2014 and back then, I just exchanged dollars on the black/blue market for pesos. I guess that is not necessary anymore? Also in 2014, no ATM worked for me! I never found out why. I even called my bank to tell them I would be in Argentina but I was unable to withdraw from any ATM when I was there. This time around I'll probably exchange some here before arriving.

I've never been to El Calafate before, only Bariloche and Iguazu and BA. But appreciate the feedback! This is my 3rd time trying to plan a trip to TdP and is finally happening! :)

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Reply to: Bus from El Calafate Airport to Puerto Natales
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate
;