We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or driver cost

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
134 posts
Taxi or driver cost

We are due to arrive at 3:30 PM on a Sunday, and given that we have limited time in Ushuaia I was planning to rent a car at the airport and go straight to Tierra del Fuego national park until about sunset.

Car rental costs seem pretty high (quoted over $100usd/day) and I a wondering, how much should I expect to pay if I hire a driver for the 3 hours or so that we'll have?

Many thanks.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
1 review
1. Re: Taxi or driver cost

If you only have 3 hours in Ushuaia, that implies that you're boarding a cruise to somewhere else. But whatever the details, IF the plane arrives on time, allow a solid 1 hour to claim your luggage and clear the airport. Then allow ample time to check-in for whatever it is you're doing later in the day. Depending on how it goes, you've got almost no time to get to the park and back to wherever you need to be. If my guess about the cruise is right, maybe you can do the park when it returns to Ushuaia. And finally, if you are taking a cruise, you're really tempting the fates by arriving only 3 hours before departure.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
134 posts
2. Re: Taxi or driver cost

Thanks! We actually are not doing a cruise. And we have no need to check in to our accommodation until late/after we go to the park. We never check bags which usually helps us get out of airports faster. The 3 hours was just a rough guess on the amount of time we might have until sunset assuming things go pretty well. But, as you say, IF the plane arrives on time is certainly a big IF. That's one reason why I was wondering about the cost of a taxi/driver into the park. So we could do it if we end up having time, or not if we don't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,479 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Taxi or driver cost

I would ask your hotel if they can quote for a driver. I imagine they could find someone to match your budget.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
1 review
4. Re: Taxi or driver cost

Wandalia

Ushuaia sunset in January was about 10:00 pm, this month it's 9:30 pm, July is 5:16 pm, and so on (all, first day of the month). So if you arrive at 3:30 and sunset is three hours later, that implies you'll be there on or about April 20. If that's correct, and you'll be spending at least one night in Ushuaia, maybe you'd do better to do something else in town when you arrive and skip the park until the following day. Then take the tren del fin del mundo into the park and take your time hiking through it (weather permitting of course).

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
134 posts
5. Re: Taxi or driver cost

We'll be there in March so sunset is at about 7:45. (I picked 3 as a very rough number for discussion.)

I'm just looking for a ballpark sense of cost to hire a taxi/driver for 3 hours or so. I can ask my hotel as peterscot suggests.

Thanks again so much to you both!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
1 review
6. Re: Taxi or driver cost

Sorry, I don't have any accurate prices for a taxi. Depending on which hotel you're at, distance to the park is 6 to 12 miles (west). Subtract about 3 if you go to el tren station and then by train into the park. If you do decide to go that route, ask hotel about taxi to the station, then pickup later at Lago Lapatia, or elsewhere within the park. That might be less expensive than having the driver hang around until pickup time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Taxi or driver cost

We recently used the services of Marcelo Salvini <mars8042000@yahoo.com.ar>. He speaks perfect English, very honest and nice. He owns his own car.

We had a tight itinerary and he helped us in making most of it. We did sightseeing places like Tierra del Fuego, Martial Glacier ,downtown etc and airport pick-up and drop-off with him.

We would definitely use him in future, if we visit Ushuaia again.

We found his contact details in

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312855-i6870-k794…

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Taxi or driver cost

Would you mind telling me how much you paid? Thanks

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
9. Re: Taxi or driver cost

January this year, official price for National Park was 1500 $arg (110-120 us$ at that moment) for 3 hs taxi ride with stops at major interesting sites.

Be aware dollar rate is not stable and inflation is pushing prices up...

Edited: 06 July 2016, 21:56
10. Re: Taxi or driver cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Ushuaia