We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

Dunstable
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

My wife and I arrive in Ushuaia on the Norwegian Sun cruise ship on Sat 19 Mar 2016. We dock at 12noon and leave at 8pm. Can anyone recommend a tour that might be suitable given the time scale.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

There's lots of possibilities -- to begin, have a look at the ncl.com website and select Shore Excursions and Ushuaia offerings for your cruise, and just ignore the outrageous prices. For example,

"Tierra del Fuego National Park and Vintage Train": US$175 and up on ncl.com. DIY: AR pesos 530-1100 (US $37-80, approx).

"End of the World Prison and Vintage Train": US$ 249 and up. DIY: AR pesos 200 (about ½ mile from the dock). In either case, the train is not "vintage" -- in fact it's quite modern.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Dunstable
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

I did look at the NCL ship excursions and know they are overpriced which is why I was looking for alternatives. When you say DIY do you mean there are opportunities to pick up a tour from the port or book one in advance from an online operator in Argentina. I have tried the later and was offered a 'private tour' for my wife and I to see the Emerald Lake at a cost of 5454 peso each which is over £500 pounds. Not a tempting offer.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

Hmmm, I get 5454 Argentine pesos = £270 (http://themoneyconverter.com/GBP/HRK.aspx) -- still costly, but not as bad as £500. But the two tours I mentioned before can be done on your own, and so can some of the others. I suggested looking at the ncl.com site just for ideas, then going elsewhere to make the actual arrangements. The advantage of booking via the cruise line is that you're guaranteed a timely arrival back at the ship before it departs for elsewhere. But as already noted it is quite a bit more expensive. And in any case the train (a short taxi ride) and the museum (a short stroll) are both quite safe, with regard to timing. Other than that, there are a number of day-tour kiosks just outside the dock. Mid-March is the tail end of the high season, so there's apt to be some last-minute space available -- but of course no guarantees on this.

Dunstable
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

Hi again,

Sorry I meant over £500 for both my wife I as the tour as 5450 peso EACH. I know hat you mean about booking a ship tour, at least you know you are going to meet the tour and get back before the ship leaves. I could only find a couple of non ship options on line and all were more expensive than the ship. One didn't have an email address only a phone number which was a little odd. Might take a chance and see what is about when we get there. Thanks for the heads up.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

I guess it all boils down to your own particular interests -- some activities are a fraction of the cost of an ncl tour, and some are quite safe in terms of timing. Others may be more expensive if they involve a 4 × 4 vehicle, driver and guide, or similar. In this case, the ncl tour may be the way to go. So, just use their offerings as a rough guide to what's available, and pick a program that appeals to you. Then, go DIY or not, depending on the details.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

What is your opinion on car rental for a day? Does one need a 4x4?

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

There's not much point in renting a car. If you don't do the train, there's lots of other options -- all within walking distance. You can pace yourself and get back to the ship well before departure. Before going ashore, ask one of the guides/staff for an In-Transit card. Then when you're ready to return, just show the card at the pier entrance. Another possibility: the ship may offer some onshore excursions--surely more expensive than a do-it-yourselfer, but maybe worth considering if you like what they're offering.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

Please don´t do the Train to the end of the world. You should not spend $ 175 per person on a train that goes for only a mile. It´s the biggest ripoff in Ushuaia.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

US $175 per person? I spent about 1/3 that amount last month for a first-class ticket. Gmokatz is certainly entitled to his opinion, but keep in mind that not everyone shares his opinion. See the following; Messages 3 & 4:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312855-i6870-k923…

Edited: 28 February 2016, 04:45
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon Tour from Cruise Ship

I stand corrected. It´s 37 USD per person on standard class. Still, you will see no Argentines in the train because people know in Ushuaia know it´s a tourist trap. You could see much more landscape for the same money if you hire a driver to take you for a four hour trip to the Park.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia