We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

Rockford
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

Hello,

This is a little bit different question from what I asked in a previous post, so I decided to open a new one.

I need a car from March 30th to April 2nd with papers to exit to Chile.

I called Hertz and all their cars with permits (two) are already booked for those days. I called Alamo and they rent cars with permits only for 7 days or more. I called Avis, Budget, and Dollar, and they don't have cars with permits. I called Localiza, Jumping, Travel, and Tiger, and they didn't answer.

I'm pretty desperate at this point. Does anyone know of a rental agency in Ushuaia, that has cars with papers to exit to Chile, that doesn't mind renting for three days, and that they answer the phone?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

Hi

We're experiencing the same problem. We want to rent a car end of september in Ushuaia and deliver it at Buenos Aires. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Theo

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

Hi

We're experiencing the same problem. We want to rent a car end of september in Ushuaia and deliver it at Buenos Aires. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Theo

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

>>I need a car from March 30th to April 2nd with papers to exit to Chile.

I think that's pretty close to impossible. Assuming you can actually find a decent car rental in Ushuaia, your itinerary would be something like this:

30: pickup car

31: arrive Punta Arenas, Chile

01: return to Ushuaia

02: drop off car

With such a tight schedule, what's the point of doing two 12-hour trips?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,636 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

The frustrations of trying to plan and make arrangements ahead of time in Argentina and Chile!

They don't answer emails!

Theo T you may have to allow some flex time and prepare to take other means of transport. When you get to Ushuaia you may have better luck but then again I think you need several days for paperwork to be prepared for crossing the border.

You may have to take a bus to another point in Argentina where you do not need to cross into Chile.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
5. Re: Car rental in Ushuaia with permits to cross border, where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 17:16