We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

We've booked a few days in Ushuaia in early September and now that we've been looking more into the southern regions of Chilean & Argentinean we've realised we didn't give much thought about glaciers.

I know that Ushuaia has the Martial Glacier, which is a lofty step down from those in el calafate, but are there any day trips possible either into Chile or within Argentina accessible from Ushuaia that don't involve a meandering hilltop such as Martial Glacier?

There are chartered helicopter day trips into Chile from Ushuaia but these require an additional chopper to accompany you for safety reasons.

Is there a less extravagant way to see more picturesque glaciers, perhaps in glacier alley, or elsewhere from Ushuaia?

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

>>Is there a less extravagant way to see more picturesque glaciers, perhaps in glacier alley, or elsewhere from Ushuaia?

I don't think so. There's a 4-night cruise from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia that sails through Glacier Alley during the day, but the season doesn't start until late September/early October. From Ushuaia alone, you might try a flight-seeing tour (Aeroclub de Ushuaia -- plane, not helicopter) from the private airport (weather permitting). This covers some of the mountains east of Ushuaia, but I doubt it's possible to do anything that would take you into Chile (sorry, don't know a thing about the chartered helicopters that you mentioned). As for Martial, keep in mind that the chairlift is no longer in operation.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

Patagonia has some of the most accessible and photogenic glaciers, eg Perito Moreno, but I doubt they are a day trip from Ushuaia.

I can recoomond the great John. mentions, but otherwise, you need to head to El Calafate or Torres del Paine

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

>>you need to head to El Calafate or Torres del Paine

The OP mentioned Glaciar Martial as a "step down" from El Calafate, so maybe s/he's already familiar with that area. As usual, who knows? As for flight-seeing out of Ushuaia, here's one shot of what it's like on a clear day (taken in October, no less<g>).

rockvillepress.com/TIERRA/PHOTOS/IMAGES/Ushu…

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

Thanks for the help John and Peterscot.

I've found a few tours to the Vinciguerra Glaicer but for a little bit more than the cost of a guided trip there, you could pick up return tickets to El Calafate from Ushuaia.

We have already booked 2 full days in Ushuaia in September-we are pretty active people and are wondering whether we'll tick off the must see things in this time. Would there be enough to do during 2 full days, or would fitting in an overnight trip to El Calafate (depart 16:15 & return 14:04 next day) deny justice to the time spent travelling to Ushuaia?

Thanks again,

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

Please nononono...overnight trip to Calafate will be throwing money!! Even an extremely quick look at the Perito Moreno glacier needs 4 hs by crazy driver taxi round trip plus a minimum of 1 hs (ideally 3 hs) for walkways and an extra 1:30 hs for very basic boat trip or 4 hs for trekking on the ice.

I'm not even talking about fight delay or bad weather...

To see glacier Vinciguerra, you don't actually need a guide, unless you go alone with lot of snow covering the trails or bad weather.

I had uploaded my experience on wikiloc, where you can also find another routes by other members who actually walked on the glacier. I've only get close enough to touch it but haven't walked on it.

Here's my route together with Encantada Lake.

es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12067697

I must say it was summer and you're going at the end of winter. So, trail conditions are different, possibly hidden by snow and a good route in your smartphone would help to follow but it could be not enough.

If you decide to go Self-guided, I think it's better not to go alone because there are roots and stones in two wide gaps you can see in the link.

Also, to get there a taxi is perfectly enough.

Here's my review (Spanish, but maybe you can Google translate) with useful details for going independently:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/ShowUserRevie…

Edited: 01 July 2016, 11:48
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

Thanks for the feedback mamaluc and sharing your travel stories. I think we'll opt for tours in and around Ushuaia to maximise our time in that area.

Would you have any other recommendations for that time of the year? We're still keen on exploring glaciers and Garibaldi Fjord looks like its not too far from Ushauaia but from what I've seen the only tours going through here are multi-day tours (not day trips from Ushuaia)- would you know if this is logistically possible from Ushuaia?

Would you know if its also too early for penguin watching in early September?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

>>Garibaldi Fjord looks like its not too far from Ushauaia

It's about 66 miles west, and it's in Chile. So it's doubtful you can reach it -- or for that matter, any of the fjords/glaciers along Glacier Alley, since they're all in the wrong country. And even the Punta Arenas-to-Ushuaia expedition cruise (via Glacier Alley) doesn't begin until very late in September. As for penguins in early September, probably not. Pira Tours runs a Harberton/Isla Martillo tour from October to March, but it might be worth checking at their booth near the dock -- just in case there's been some early arrivals. Check their website for more details:

piratour.net/en/productos/ver/15-penguin-roo…

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Pira Tour
Pira Tour
479 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
Isla Martillo
Isla Martillo
669 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
8. Re: Are glacier day trips from Ushuaia possible (not Martial)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2017, 12:16