We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Docking at Ushuaia

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Docking at Ushuaia

PPerth said (in the Car Rental thread): The 5 big ones (ie, passenger ships) were all >2500 ones . . .

Yikes! Celebrity's "Infinity" is 965 feet long and holds "only" 2,170 passengers. I have a photo of it at anchor off the pier in Punta Arenas, but have never met up with it in Ushuaia (just lucky I guess). I do have a so-so Ushuaia photo of us ("Stella Australis," 300 feet) + Quark ("Ocean Diamond," 407 feet) + 2 others, slightly longer than the "O. D." That, and the usual collection of small craft, etc. So, how does one squeeze 5 monster vessels into the same space? I don't think I want to know (or, to be there at the same time).

Just curious about those small ships (<100 pax) you were on -- to where, and back?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Docking at Ushuaia

If I could post a pic or two here for you I would. They all fit. And watching one in the middle leave first was a wonder in technology. From my angle on shore it looked like there was inches to spare. Mind you when the jetty was completely empty one of my expedition ships managed to hit as much of the jetty as physically possible. Atrocious "parking". Caused every one down on the dock to wince.

My voyages - 4 Antarctica trips, 75% of the circumference of the continent, 116 days in total, Khlebnikov, Sea Adventurer and Ortelius.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Docking at Ushuaia

Well, here's a photo from my last trip, showing two passenger ships -- combined length about 700 feet. I don't know the names of the other two ships in the photo. Celebrity's "Infinity" (not shown here) is 965 feet long -- more than 200 feet greater than the two named ships. So, I'd love to see (from a safe distance, of course), five ships longer than "Infinity" all tied up to the same dock.

http://www.rockvillepress.com/USHUAIADOCK.JPG

The "Stella Australis" has a bow thruster, which makes for easier docking, especially in limited space. I don't know if any of the big fellas have something similar -- somehow I doubt it.

I haven't gotten to Antarctica yet -- so far, 14 expedition cruises between Ushuaia and Punta Arenas (2 one-way, 6 round trips).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Docking at Ushuaia

When the 5 were in I got a taxi up to the seriously posh hotel way up the hill (have forgotten its name) to take an aerial shot of them all.

Most of the newly built liners have sideways bow thrusters because most of the wharves around the world were built long before the ships - so sideways entry and exit without tugs is pretty common. Watch webcams for the docs in NY or Miami when multiple ships are making their way in and out around each other. Smaller wharves than Ushuaia's (which is quite a good length for the size of the town).

I assumed you had been to Antarctica plenty of times given how often you are down in that part of the world. Will you stay with the Stella team when NatGeo takes over - that may be your way to get down there !

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Docking at Ushuaia

>>When the 5 were in I got a taxi up to the seriously posh hotel way up the hill (have forgotten its name).

I'll bet it was Hotel Arakur: 2.35 miles from the dock and about 750 ft elevation. I took that shot from my room on the day of departure -- through the window, so it's a bit muddy. Too bad none of the big ones were at the dock then.

Lindblad/Nat Geo didn't exactly take over the Australis operation. Lindblad bought their Via Australis, which will be re-furbished and re-named "Endeavor II" for service in Galápagos starting Q3 2017. Apparently the original "Endeavor" was getting a bit long of tooth, so this is its replacement. A new Australis replacement -- still un-named -- is under construction, but it too won't be ready until Q3 2017. That means the coming 2016-17 season will be one ship short, and therefore no special "themed" cruises. So that lets me off the hook for now. As for the following season(s), ¿Quien sabe? I've been doing it for the past 8 years or so, so maybe it's time to move on to something else (like a rocking chair<g>).

5. Re: Docking at Ushuaia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 12:17