We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about cruise port

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Question about cruise port

We are booked on a cruise leaving Ushuaia in March '17.

I have just had notification from our TA that the cruise company sent -

" We now have some important information to share with you regarding the port of Ushuaia.

Since Ushuaia is a busy, working port, guests will not be able to access the pier independently, whether in taxis or private vehicles. "

(It goes on that we will be bussed to the ship from Arakur Hotel at a set time on the departure day at a cost of $ 50 per person !!)

What I would like to know is this a new rule applying to ALL cruise ships that come into Ushuaia ? There is no passenger access to the port any more ?

Thanks for any replies.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Arakur Ushuaia Resort & Spa
Arakur Ushuaia Resort...
1,949 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Question about cruise port

" If it is, it's a very new rule."

I complained to our TA so she checked with Silverseas Sydney - their reply -

" Silversea have advised that the Ushuaia port authority has implemented a new policy that individuals are unable to access the pier independently whether they are in taxis or private vehicles."

So mandatory transfer at the cost of $AU 49 it is !!

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Question about cruise port

>>Silversea have advised that . . . individuals are unable to access the pier independently whether they are in taxis or private vehicles.

Ok -- that's little more than a re-hash of what you wrote in your original post. And neither version answers the question: Can a passenger *walk* to the ship? I'll bet the answer is still "yes." Not that you'd want to though, but since Arakur offers free transfers from the hotel to the dock area, it seems like highway robbery to get socked $AU 49 for the same thing. If there are other Silversea pax staying there, I'll bet they'll be an angry group when they get to the ship -- especially if they realize the walk to the ship is only about 550 meters, maximum, and even less if the ship is docked close in.

Mentioned in this post
Arakur Ushuaia Resort & Spa
Arakur Ushuaia Resort...
1,949 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Question about cruise port

I ´ve just called the hotel myself and though it is correct that taxis can´t enter the port, you can definitely walk to your cruise ship which would be, at the most a 500 mts walk.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,051 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Question about cruise port

Well that is good news. Since we had free bussing it was not a problem for us but it would be an easy walk from the street or the taxi stand. You would have to handle your own luggage though.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Question about cruise port

>>. . . it would be an easy walk from the street or the taxi stand. You would have to handle your own luggage though.

Lucky for me, that's never been an issue; Australis has check-in/baggage drop-off service at the Comapa office in town -- understandable because they have two departures every week during the cruise season. I suppose Silversea and others don't, because they have so very few departures. But, what about passengers staying at hotels and hostels all over the place? Or even at Hotel Albatros just across the street from the dock? Do they all get socked with a similar fee? At the least, there should be a complimentary bus/shuttle from one end of the dock to the other, as in Punta Arenas. But I guess only Silversea can answer this one.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Albatros
Hotel Albatros
1,026 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Question about cruise port

Taxi's definitely cannot access the wharf. Generally on all my trips - when departing USH we gather at the big car park and get bussed down the wharf (for no fee) - stopping to get off and go through security half way then back on the bus to the ship.

When arriving in USH - we just walk off the ship and up the wharf ourselves at our own time. Those on immediate flights get bussed off.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,051 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Question about cruise port

When we returned we were bussed off to the Albatros Hotel where we were reunited with our luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Albatros
Hotel Albatros
1,026 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
18. Re: Question about cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2017, 13:19