We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and flight delayes in October - November

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and flight delayes in October - November

Can someone please let me know if weather related flight delays happen often in the middle of October & beginning of November? Thank you!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and flight delayes in October - November

We can not assure you it will or won't happen. I don't know which airport you are referring to, but weather related delay in BUE airport is more common during winter, when the usual low temperature comes back after a few days of warm and humid weather, producing fog in consequence.

As for heavy rain and storm, it's not seasonal and it can happen anytime (specialy in subtropical cities like Iguazu) although some areas of our country have "rainy" and "dry" season, but weather unpredictability is well known world wide.

Most importantly, do never risk with a tight schedule. Weather related delays are not the only problem you may have...

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and flight delayes in October - November

Since Lindt07 posted in the Ushuaia forum, I'm assuming s/he is asking about weather delays in and out of Ushuaia. As Mamaluc already mentioned, weather issues can happen at any time, and the weather can change radically within minutes. In Ushuaia I've seen snow (light though) in January, and delightfully pleasant weather in October. Another variable is Aerolineas Argentina -- if there's a more unreliable airline, I hope I never find it<g>. So, if the purpose of a flight to Ushuaia is to board a cruise ship, make SURE to allow at least one night in Ushuaia prior to boarding. Not a bad idea to do the same thing if you return to Ushuaia. Depending on weather (and everything else) it's possible to get back to port too late to catch your return flight to B. A.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and flight delayes in October - November

John! You're right!!

I haven't noticed it was posted for Ushuaia. Shame on me.

I agree that weather in Ushuaia is very changeable, specially the wind. A very long time ago, while the old wrong oriented airport was operating, that was the usual reason for flight delays and cancelations. Now it's better but still, operating almost at the edge of an island, sudden strong wind may cause problems. This picture of the airport can give you an idea:

https://goo.gl/images/HdSM3d

I guess you're not taking a cruise in October...but as John says, make sure you get to Ushuaia on a right day. During my work as tour guide, most of the cases where passengers couldn't get in time, were caused by delays of their international flights and consequently losing their domestic conexion (mostly, due to snow in the northern winter during our summer high season). Secondly, delays or cancelations of domestic flights, not only because of weather...it could be any other Argentinian surprise...

That's why it's extremely important to avoid a tight flight schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and flight delayes in October - November

Here's another view of the airport at Ushuaia (but only if Google Earth is available):

rockvillepress.com/TIERRA/…Ushuaia.kml

Drag Señor PegMan onto the street for a nice 3D view of the terminal.

On one of my recent trips, our "friends"(?) at Aerolineas Argentina cancelled all flights from AEP to USH without explanation and we had to transfer to EZE for the only remaining flight. I was supposed to give a lecture at Hotel Arakur that night, but of course we arrived much too late for that. But at least we had the protection of one night in town before the cruise. Is the OP also going on a cruise? As they say in Ushuaia, ¿Quien sabe? <g>

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Arakur Ushuaia Resort & Spa
Arakur Ushuaia Resort...
2,040 Reviews
Ushuaia, Argentina
5. Re: Weather and flight delayes in October - November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 17:18