We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ushuaia & way to Chile

Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
422 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Ushuaia & way to Chile

Hello folks

I am thinking to fly to Ushuaia from Buenos Aires in Dec ,

1 - i'm wondering what kind of clothes shall i pack with me to Ushuaia ?

2 - Is 3-4 days good enough to visit the most important spots ? what do you suggest me NOT MISS ? any idea would certainly help in a way or another

3 - what is the best way to reach Chile from Ushuaia ? bus ? airplane ? ferry ?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

1. Clothes -- One thing is predictable about Ushuaia weather: it's always unpredictable<g>. I've been there several times in December and the weather was delightful--almost spring-like. I've also seen snow (light) in January. So the best thing is to be prepared for whatever comes your way. That is, wear layers.

2. 3 or 4 days? Have a look at the "Top Questions" at the upper right of this page. And/or, look at the following links for some more suggestions:

http://www.comapa.tur.ar/en/excursions.html

http://www.piratour.net/en/

3. Ushuaia to Chile. Assuming you mean to Punta Arenas; bus (about 12 hours) or expedition cruise ship (3 nights -- Dec 7, 14 or 21. 28 and all of January already sold out). Plane -- no service between Argentina and Chile, except between Buenos Aires and Santiago. If you want to visit both countries, I'd suggest flying into B. A., then southbound through Argentina, do the Ushuaia/Punta Arenas crossing, then work your way northbound through Chile and depart via Santiago.

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
422 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

Thanks for your precious information , appreciate it

Would you kindly let me know what's the best way to visit Perito Moreno glacier ? any idea of tours ?

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

Maybe this would work for you: B. A. to El Calafate for Perito Moreno glacier. Then El Calafate to Ushuaia.

Then, either cross to Punta Arenas by bus or ship, and continue to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine. Or, return to B. A. from Ushuaia, then to Santiago and Atacama. Finally, return home from Santiago. And of course you can do the above in either direction.

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Perito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier
6,220 Reviews
Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
422 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

Very useful information ! Thanks a bunch

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,084 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

Here is a really useful site: https:/…Punta-Arenas

I wish I had not taken the Tolkar bus! It is a long boring ride. Take food but not too much because you cannot cross into Chile with food. There was a long line up on the ferry for hot dogs and the ferry ride was short.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

>>the ferry ride was short.

From Porvenir to Punta Arenas? That's about a 20 mile boat ride -- ballpark 2+ hours, no? That would account for the total time being some 5 hours longer than the other choices (north to Primera Angostura, then a 20 minute ferry and a paved road south to Punta Arenas). Too bad the two countries can't behave like grown-ups and offer air service back and forth.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
7. Re: Ushuaia & way to Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2017, 12:18