We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

My husband will be working in Phoenix the first week of August and suggested that myself and the kids (ages 13 and 10) come along. The hotel would be free and we could stay somewhere like the Westin Kierland or the Arizona Grande that has a water park. Obviously we would have to either be indoors or in the pool the entire time. Would I even be able to enjoy walking around the outdoor mall in the evenings?

We are from a desert area in Southern California so it gets over 100 most summer days but generally cools a bit at night. Is it crazy to even consider a vacation to Phoenix in the summer even if it's free?

Edited: 13 June 2018, 04:56
Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
The Westin Kierland...
2,644 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
California
California
United States
10 replies to this topic
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

No, not crazy at all! Sounds like you're used to that kind of weather. Might be a little humid if the monsoon season has started. In fact, it looks like it will be starting this week if Hurricane Bud gets going but it might not last.

It won't be very crowded and it's free. What more could you ask for?

Mentioned in this post
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

It's typically hot, with a good chance of humidity. Check the weather statistics and decide for yourself. In August, I usually avoid the outdoors as much as possible when the sun is out.

United States
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Umm....Yes!! You are crazy! Lol. That is monsoon time here with humidity on top of our high temps. Those two resorts may still be busy since they offer AZ resident "staycation" specials during the summer. The plus side is most schools here will be headed back the week of Aug 6th. Some even earlier.

Can't beat FREE though so what do you really have to lose?? Come & enjoy some downtime in the resort pools.

I agree with the above and avoid the heat & sun during daylight. It is HOT here.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 06:43
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Another vote for not crazy! As mentioned a free vaca at a nice resort is something you shouldn't pass up. Play in the pool, see a movie, visit Fashion Square Mall with the kids, Butterfly Wonderland, OdySea Aquarium, the MIM, Arizona Science Center or Children's Museum, etc. If I had a choice of spending a few hot days in Scottsdale or being left at home with my bored kids who've been out of school for two months I know what I'd do.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale Fashion Square
Scottsdale Fashion Square
490 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Butterfly Wonderland
Butterfly Wonderland
1,250 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
OdySea Aquarium
OdySea Aquarium
725 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona Science Center
Arizona Science Center
826 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

I'm with the above, especially if the lodging is free! I would add the Musical Instrument Museum to AZTCHR's list. It isn't all instruments and anyone with even a passing interest in music will love it. There is also iFLY and go-cars which our teens and their friends that visit us enjoyed. If they have an interest is golf, at TopGolf. All are on the eastern side of Scottsdale.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Arizona may be hot, and August is usually our monsoon season, but if you are staying at a nice resort with a pool for free I would say you are definitely not crazy.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

All your posts have convinced me to go for it. Our kids are always excited to stay in hotels so I'm sure they will enjoy it.

So here's my questions...which of these hotels has the best pool/slide for my boys and is nice for Mom too?

Arizona Grande - hesitant to stay here because reviews aren't great

Westin Kierland

JW Marriot

Hyatt at Gainey Ranch

Fairmont

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
The Westin Kierland...
2,644 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Will you have access to a car while your husband is working? And where is he working? I would pick a Scottsdale resort over Arizona Grand. If no car the Westin Kierland is a good choice because you can walk (or take their local shuttle) to Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter. They have a great pool area, too. The Fairmont is also a good choice for families and their spa is excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Arizona Grand Resort...
216 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
The Westin Kierland...
2,644 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Kierland Commons
Kierland Commons
206 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Quarter
Scottsdale Quarter
89 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

I personally love summers here, just drink plenty of water, kids that young I would not go hiking, stick to the resort pools and other places. You will have a good time.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?

Not too crazy there are night time baseball games you might want to catch. Early morning hikes are nice. You just need to go to bed really early. Sunrises are nice in mountains. There are good shopping malls, people go to malls sometimes in summer but go early or night. In the middle of the day stay in take in a movie or nap.

Reply to: Phoenix first week of August...am I crazy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;