We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

I rented a mid size SUV at Phoenix Sky for $13.00 per day in my husbands name through Priceline. I then signed up for Hertz Gold through AAA in my husbands name. I just called Hertz and because we used Priceline, we are not able to use the Hertz Gold perks like adding a second driver (myself) or skipping the rental line. I thought it would apply but I was told it does not. Got a great rate but now I am worried about driving when I may not be authorized to do so. Any feedback appreciated.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

Any time you rent through Priceline, you can not take advantage of any perks from any rental car agencies. When you arrive to pick up the car, I am sure you will be able to add a driver, but it will likely cost you $10 a day.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
2. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

Even if I have to ad another $80.00, I still am saving $160.00 from my original car rental I was going to get through Avis.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

I did the same thing (SUV bid on Priceline, Hertz gold member, etc.) and I did not have to wait in line. Do have an online account on Hertz.com? Are you able to log into your account and find your reservation?

I went through Hertz.com, logged into my account, used the "modify reservations" tab on the website to locate the reservation made through Priceline. The reservation number is on the Priceline confirmation you received by email. I made sure that my Hertz account had current driver's license, credit card info, etc. I would imagine you should also be able to add additional drivers at this point but I don't know since I didn't need to. When I got to Phoenix, I went directly to the garage and my name was on the gold member board.

The Hertz counter at the rental center in Phoenix did have some kiosks, so waiting in line may not be necessary if you have problems doing this online. Nevertheless I can confirm that I was able to set it up to bypass it all together.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

I rented a car with Hertz through my AAA agent....we got unlimited miles with an additional driver added for free in a mid-size car. We picked up the car at Flagstaff Airport (returned it there as well) for 8 days and it was only $235....

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
5. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

I will try again Detroit Tiger Fan. I tried to modify my registration but couldn't do it. Flagstaff must be so much cheaper than Phoenix because I couldn't get the kind of deal you got travelfever. I'm happy with my Priceline deal regardless.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
6. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

I might note that if this is a brand new Gold membership, you would have to go to the Hertz desk anyway. They require this for first time rentals under Gold, so they can verify your license and credit card information.

Taxes on rentals at the Phoenix airport are likely what is driving up your price. That airport has horrendous taxes.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

Thanks ridge4miles. It is my first Gold membership rental.

8. Re: Renting Through Hertz - Priceline, Gold Club Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:41