We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Trip to Sedona

Doubletree Hotel...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Labor Day Trip to Sedona

My wife and I are visiting Arizona to see our daughter, who lives in Flagstaff. We will be staying at the Biltmore in Phoenix Friday through Sunday night. We plan to visit Sedona on Labor Day with our daughter on our way to Flagstaff. We will be coming back durning the week for a Pink Jeep Tour and will be doing a good bit of hiking while we are in Flagstaff. So with all that said, what do you recommend for our day in Sedona. I have heard that the wine tasting is fun and the Chapel of the Holy Cross looks pretty cool. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill DeLoache

Charlotte, NC

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,360 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Chapel of the Holy Cross
Chapel of the Holy Cross
8,542 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
3 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Trip to Sedona

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Don't miss places on a day trip to Sedona would include the Chapel and Red Rock Crossing. You'll drive via Oak Creek Canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff. That's another must do. If you have time, add a drive out Dry Creek Road to Boynton Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,867 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,983 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
764 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Trip to Sedona

Agree the Dry Creek/Boynton canyon road (an in-and-out) is one of the most scenic in the Sedona area.

I would skip the wine tasting...you can taste wine with dinners. The wine tours are way out west of Sedona and you would waste time doing that which you are going to need to enjoy Sedona. Maybe sometime when you make a longer return trip to the area.

L'Auberge Wine Cellar

www.lauberge.com/dining/wine-cellar

One of the finest & most extensive Sedona wine bars.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Trip to Sedona

On Hwy 179 you will see many red rock formations after entering the Village of Oak Creek. This is a great chance for a picture of your family with the rocks as a backdrop.

If you turn right at Chapel Road (Lutheran Church) you will go to the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Beautiful panoramic views and another opportunity for pictures.

Continuing along 179 after the road curves left Tlaquepaque (Spanish Village) is on the left. Nice architecture and unique shops.

Up at the traffic circle you can go right through the touristy (souvenirs?) district to head through Oak Creek Canyon and drive to NAU.

You can get your daughter moved in and drive up 89 to downtown Flagstaff to see some of the shops and have dinner, possibly including her and her roommate. (I remember how much we appreciated parents taking us out at college!)

Have a good trip, and if you need ideas for your return trip, please post again.

Mentioned in this post
Chapel of the Holy Cross
Chapel of the Holy Cross
8,542 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,983 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Reply to: Labor Day Trip to Sedona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted