We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

Hello, we are planning for a family vacation in Sedona this year around Christmas time. Sedona is one of our favorite destinations and we are so excited to return. It will be the first time for the other people on the trip. We are a big family with grandparents and a 4 year old, who is actually a surprisingly good hiker. :-)

I've received so many great advices when planning for my previous trips and I hope you could look over my initial day to day plan to give me some suggestions.

Thank you so much!

day 1: fly into Phoenix late afternoon then drive to Sedona

day 2 (Christmas Eve): short hike in the am. Attend Red Rock Fantasy at Tlaquepaque (dusk to 9pm). Is this event scheduled also on Christmas eve?

day 3 (Christmas Day): Grand Canyon. Could you recommend a restaurant for dinner on the way back? We'd love to try some local specialty. We will be going to Elote for sure but we'd like some more suggestions please.

day 4: Medium hike. Shopping in uptown Sedona (?) where there are lots of Indian arts and minerals.

day 5: short hike and spa. We'd like to go to a spa with views. I guess that is not difficult in Sedona. If possible not too expensive. Hoping not to pay over $100 for 60 minutes. A place we can also lounge so we could take turns to get massage and babysit. Hope that makes sense.

day 6: Visit Tuzigoot and Jerome then head to Phoenix to return home.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,867 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
4 replies to this topic
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

The Red Rock Fantasy used to be a big event. It has changed and is much smaller. We went last year, and what we did is put our names in at Elote and leave part of our party there while the other part went to Tlaquepaque (we drove; it was not far away).

If I were in the Grand Canyon on Christmas, I would have dinner at El Tovar. On the way back you can stop by Little America Hotel (Flagstaff) and view the Christmas lights and decorations on the grounds. I would have recommended their Christmas brunch, but it seems that their restaurant is getting mixed reviews now.

Mentioned in this post
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,867 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Elote Cafe
Elote Cafe
4,555 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,241 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Little America Hotel...
2,606 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
764 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

Your plan sounds nice. I would do most of my shopping in Tlaquepaque, Garland's in Oak Creek Canyon and not only Uptown...but you have time to do all three.

Check out the Eforea Spa at the Bell Rock Hilton.

Day 3...Grand Canyon day. Make your drive counter-clockwise entering from the east gate. The Cameron Trading Post will be CLOSED on Christmas Day.

Days are short in December, I would not have dinner at El Tovar because you need to be safely back in Sedona before sunset. Sunset then is at 5:21 on Christmas Eve and it is a 115 mile, 2.5 hour drive back to Sedona from the GC Village. Lunch maybe because of the Cameron TP closure.

If you view the Little America Christmas lights that means driving back to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon in the pitch dark...not actually recommended but possible with slow speed and extreme care. You will get an idea of what that would be like because you will be driving that route in the morning when you leave.

This should be a wonderful visit...Christmas time in Sedona...lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,983 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,074 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cameron Trading Post
Cameron Trading Post
398 Reviews
Cameron, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Little America Hotel...
2,606 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

Hello Kate and MaryEllen, thank you so much for your help! I will check out the other shopping areas and the spa. When I said uptown in my original post that might not be very accurate. One time we stayed at the best western and I wanted to describe the area right outside that hotel. Thanks for the route suggestion for GC. I'm also afraid of returning in complete dark so I think I will go with lunch in GC and dinner back home in Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Family Vacation in Sedona

by Best Western I meant Best Western Plus Arroyo Roble

Mentioned in this post