We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Hi,

we are arriving in Flagstaff on a Saturday afternoon next month from LAX, we were planning on staying in Flagstaff but after reading about altitude sickness think that driving down to Sedona to aclimatise overnight before driving to stay at the Grand Canyon Sunday night may be a safer option.

What do others think?

Is it an easy drive down from Flagstaff airport to Sedona?

thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

You are probably better staying in Flagstaff. The most direct route to Sedona, 89a, will be closed. There is a thread about it on this forum.

To help you with the altitude, avoid alcohol the first couple of days, drink a lot of water, and take it easy. And, when my wife had altitude problems, chocolate helped (someone had recommended that).

Edited: 28 February 2010, 07:06
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Altitude sickness is in general not experienced by healthy people at the altitudes in Flagstaff and GCNP. One can get tired easily with physical activity, however it is quick to acclimatize for most people. Altitude sickness is generally considered a risk at higher altitudes than the 7000' of the plateau at Flagstaff and GCNP. Millions of people got to GCNP every year with little concern. If you have a medical condition, and your doctor has voiced concern, that is a different matter.

On the other hand, Sedona would be a delightful place to be spending a few days to keep it safe.

;-)

Edited: 28 February 2010, 07:20
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,751 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Unless you are prone to altitude sickness you probably won't have any problems. The open route to Sedona next week will be via I-17 to SR 179 at exit number 298. It takes about 45 minutes from the airport at Flag and it is an easy drive.

But if you aren't planning to spend any more time in Sedona, I'd just stay in Flagstaff. Because once you arrive in Sedona, you won't want to leave.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

I wouldn't worry too much about altitude sickness in the Flagstaff/GC area.

Make sure you stay hydrated, even in cool weather, and don't over exert yourself. A days diversion to Sedona, simply to acclimate, is not needed.

Spending less than a day in Sedona is inadequate. Several days in Sedona, however, will not dissappoint you in the least.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Thank you so much for all of the advice, I will keep the Flagstaff hotel booking and get some chocolate just in case :)

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
158 reviews
6. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Ditto what everyone else has said, in general, if you are healthy to begin with, the altitude shouldn't give you too much trouble. The most common ailment I've seen it cause is headaches and light-headedness, but these tend to subside after a day or so. What tends to be more common than altitude sickness up here though is dehydration: gotta remember that it's drier out here than most folks are used to, so be sure to drink plenty of water, and by that I mean plain ordinary water, not fruit juice, soda or alcoholic beverages.

Thanks for the tip about the chocolate Mike P, I'm feeling kinda dizzy, hee hee :)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Maybe chocolate doesn't help.................but it sure can't hurt, right?

Actually it was in Vail, Colorado, that my wife had altitude problems -- bad headache -- so it was quite a bit higher in elevation.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
8. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Well if the plane ride does not bother you, then Flag altitude won't bother you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

Hi Vegashomeboy,

that's why I am a bit concerned, on our first long distance flight last year, Melbourne to Dubai, I threw up in the airport on arrival.

I don't travel too well but I love all of the new sight and adventures. I am getting so excited!

10. Re: Flying into Flagstaff worried about altitude-stay in Sedona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 12:16