We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Sedona?

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Swimming in Sedona?

My wife and I (29 and 31) will be visiting Sedona in July and are looking for places to go swimming. We'll be staying at Sedona Views and there is no pool there but would love find a place we could hike to and swim or a place in town. It would be awesome if we could find one that would not be crowded. Lucky for us we are there during the week and not on the weekend.Also, what is water temp like in Sedona in July?

We know about Slide Rock and will be visiting there too - can you actually swim there or just dip? But are also looking for some other places. If we could bring a cooler with drinks and some lunch this would be even better!

Thank you.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
453 reviews
1. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

Well if your hotel doesn't have a pool, then you are out of luck, but once you get there, you will realize it's not about swimming.

Slide Rock will offer you the options to get wet. Grasshopper Point, on the right on the way to Slide Rock, will also give you better options to get fully wet. It's a popular place and not a lot of parking so you may have to try a couple of times.

Another place is Slide Rock State Park. Lovely area and take some sandwiches and cookies from Sedona Memories - in uptown, or Safeway and Basha's grocery stores. They will make up sandwiches for you to go. The park has tables but most of all the creek which is lovely and you will find a lot of people in there. Mostly wading, but you can get wet and it has the most popular view of Sedona there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,151 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

Slide Rock SP, Grasshopper Point SP and Crescent Moon SP aka Red Rock Crossing are some of the best swimming holes you'll ever find.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 05:53
North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

Thanks for the replies guys. Will check these out. We are really just looking for a place to go in past our heads and cool off. Out of these or others which ones would you say are the best for this?

Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,151 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

All are great, but you can avoid crowds by staying away from Slide Rock.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

RedRox-Is the community pool worth looking into also? Us city folks would prefer chemically treated water over creeks and lakes. :-)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,151 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

I've never been there. It's a long way from Sedona Views, but then so are the more popular swimming holes.

If you don't want to swim in the creek, you can find plenty of other things to see and do. I wouldn't travel across the country to go swimming in the community pool.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,831 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

Us country folks, even if we live in cities, would prefer clean natural water over chemically treated water. Oak Creek is likely cleaner than a public swimming pool.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
716 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

I will throw in my two cents worth, I am a competitive swimmer and coach from a small town......I will take the swimming hole any day and may see you there!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
584 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

The town of Cottonwood has the best indoor/outdoor community pools. Cottonwood is about 30 mins from Sedona, and is on the way to Jerome. Google Cottonwood Recreation Center under images for pics.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Swimming in Sedona?

We've been to the community pool in Sedona. It's certainly adequate and just like the rest of Sedona, the views from the pool area in Soldiers Pass area are great. if you want to go just check the schedule because it is used for different activities.