We will be visiting El Dorado and Little Rock next week and need a feww suggestions as to good local restaurants.
I'm headed to El Dorado in a month, so please leave a trip report here if you find some good places!
As to Little Rock, it might help to know the kind of food you are looking for. Here are the places we like:
* Brave New Restaurant - upscale dining on the river. Consistently good. Pleasant views from the terrace.
* Whole Hog Barbeque - Some businessmen started entering barbeque contests as a hobby and won them all. Decided to open a restaurant and now it wins awards and is very popular.
* Lily's Dim Sum - A cut above the typical Asian restaurant.
* Trio's - Eclectic, creative menu. In-house pastry chef makes all desserts.
* Boulevard Bread or Zaza (same owner) - Two nearby places great for casual lunches. Boulevard for soup and sandwich, Zaza for salad, or woodfired pizza and gelato. Located in the Heights area.
* Ashleys in the Capital Hotel - We actually don't have much experience here but the chef was brought in from a well known New Orleans restaurant. It's a beautiful historic hotel.
There's a health food store at the downtown square, across from the courthouse, that has really good soup, sandwiches and etc. Nice store, really friendly/helpful owners. www.theoldtownestore.com at 113 N. Jefferson Ave. There's also House of Wylie that I'd heard was good. It's at 232 E. Main St. There are several places to eat along E. Main. www.arkansassouth.com/shopping
Thanks for the suggestions. I will post our reviews here after our trip next Friday.
We ate at Brave New Restaurant and Whole Hog BBQ in Little Rock and both were very good. We also had lunch at Cafe 42 in the Clinton Library which offered excellent and very reasonable soup, sandwiches, and desserts along with awesome homemade potato chips!
As for El Dorado we ended up at the Laredo Grill. They offer steaks and Mexican dishes. My chicken fahitas were pretty good but lacked green and red peppers (only 3 pieces in the whole entree) but lots of onions. My two companions had empanadas which they would not recommend.
Good luck on your trip finding good eating!
Thank you for the trip report.
I forgot to mention the best find of all! If you go thru Pine Bluff on your way to El Dorado, there is a bakery/deli called Lybrands at 2900 S. Hazel Street. We ordered some coconut cream pie which was delicious and took some brownies and fruit turnovers with us to the hotel. They were the best turnovers I ever had.
Their sandwiches looked really good and huge yet reasonably priced for around $7 or less. The cookies, donuts, cakes and pies all looked delicious and it was hard to choose which delicacy to take with us. We will definitely stop back there on our next trip to Arkansas!
thanks for that tip on P.B. my parents are from there and every once in a while we get back down to visit family and etc... will have to check the place out.
-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-
This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html
We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.