We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Safe?

Is it safe for a 18 year girl to be working in a hostel in San Marco? My niece plans on going for 6 weeks. Basically is San Marco a safe place to visit. I hear horrific things about going to Guatemala. I would actually like to hear from people that have been there. Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe?

I can't answer that, really, without knowing your niece. The vast majority of crime in Guatemala is gang-related in parts of Guatemala City tourists don't (and shouldn't) visit. The rest of the crime is mostly crime of opportunity - pickpockets in crowded markets and buses, a missing backpack that was left on a chair when you went back for another scoop of ice cream. Aside from that, her personal safety will be based almost entirely on the choices she makes - who she hangs out with, whether she drinks or uses drugs, whether she defies recommendations about where to hike, where to sleep, that sort of thing. If she has safe behaviors she is very likely to be safe. If she has unsafe behaviors then I wouldn't consider her safe in my little rural Oregon town. Just my 2 quetzales' worth...

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe?

San Marcos is a nice place and safety should be fine. I really like how Hopefulist responded. I know one 18 year old that would be completely safe and another 21 year old that I’d be worried about. If you hang out with the wrong people any place can be full of danger.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe?

Thank you for your response. I feel much better about her travels.

Reply to: Safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Marcos La Laguna