We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking

Gainsborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Parking

I made a 200 mile round trip today to visit Staithes and only saw the car park at the top of the village as I am disabled and could not walk all that way down to sea and back again. I didn't take my car down to the bottom as it said no visitors cars. Im very upset and annoyed.

16 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking

The fact is, Staithes was not built for cars that is why visitors cannot drive down there.

Here is a photo of one of the very few resident parking places. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3647077

Edited: 29 March 2015, 04:56
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking

Sadly this party of the North Yorks coast is not that disabled friendly, as ian480 says the villages were not built for cars and are on pretty dramatically steep coastline, too boot. Sorry your trip was spoiled, though.

Rye, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking

Hi Tony C, sorry about your trip. I visited Staithes last Oct, I parked in the car park and walked down to the harbour side. Although it says no visitors cars there were a few cars with older people sitting looking at the view. I would assume they were fairly local and knew they could. Maybe your next trip will be more successful.

Gainsborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Ian480. Yes I agree Staithes wasn't built for cars. Its just a shame how it worked out. Thankyou once again. Tony C

Gainsborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Parking

Thankyou Riotstar for your reply. Im older and wiser now.

Gainsborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Parking

Thankyou for your advice Woodngirl. I will take a mobility scooter next time. Tony C

UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Parking

Hi. I was hoping to go to Staithes next week but as I am due a couple of knee ops maybe I won't make it down the hill. How far is it to walk? Many thanks

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Parking

If you are going with someone with better mobility and willing to drive you down, then go and park the car and join you on foot, you should be okay, according to the below, "loading" is allowed.

www.staithes-town.info/business/parking.htm

We were there a couple of months ago and it's quite steep, not as bad a Robin Hood's bay though!

You can take a car down into nearby Runswick Bay, which is really pretty but not as much to see as there is in Staithes.

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Parking

Is there public transport or a taxi service available from the car park down to the village/harbour?

Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Parking

I realise that I am coming to this message very late, but just in case anybody else sees it - if you have a blue badge you can park at the bottom - if you can find a spot! There area few spaces on the High Street, officially only 40 minutes, but with a blue badge you can stay longer. I checked for my mother-in-law a few months ago.

Reply to: Car Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Staithes
Recent Conversations