We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
716 posts
2 reviews
Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

I dont seem to be able to find information on whether International Wildcardholders have free entry to Hluhluwe Game Reserve.

Apparently if stay overnight inside the Reserve, one still has to pay conservation fee even though holding a valid Wildcard.

23 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

Scroll down for all parks where Wild Card is accepted. You need the international card, all clusters.

https:/…pricing.php

1 night in HiP is not enough. At least 2. We liked Hilltop Camp.

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
716 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

Ours is international which is all clusters anyway. I dont believe international wildcard has options.

What is wrong with the Sanparks site? It does not show up right for me in either Firefox or Chrome.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

The sanparks site seems fine on safari and iOS.

The international all clusters Wild Card works at HiP but not all KZN parks. Also works at the three Swaziland "big game" parks.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

From your other post, I'd rent an SUV for HiP as the roads can be difficult. Few tarred roads. And 2 nights are much better than one. Best game viewing for me was in the iMfolozi southern section with lower grass.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

Hello and there is always confusion on this. I am in a social media group and this is asked a lot with varying answers. I would email KZN Wildlife and ask the questions. I might be wrong but I thought all overseas visitors pay the conservation levy on top of their bill.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
716 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

@cbir, when you say the better viewing is at the iMfoloze side which I understand is more savanah-like grass land with open space, what animals you spotted?

SUV is way too expensive because we are not talking about a short few days. Last year we managed at Kruger for 5 days just fine with the Corolla. Understand the HiP only has one tarred road South North and the loops are often in poor conditions. While an SUV may navigate the poor conditions fine, it is still quite a rough ride. I am sorry that we are not that keen to see more animals if it involves a whole lot more costs and quite a bit discomfort.

@SafanKZN-Mark - I did try to send an email to them, but alas the email is returned with non-delivery error.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

You say you have a wild card well that's all you need . Just make sure you have a letter confirming your Wild card is up to date . the roads can be a little bumpy but if you go slow you will be OK ( its a single road from North to south BUT it is tarred . maybe a few rough spots but make sure that does not put you off. We have found Imfolozi has plenty of visible game because there is not that much bush I love the view from the hilltop camp but Mpila has some super tented accommodation with ensuites .we have had bush pigs watching us eat not to mention the Hyenas .Lions have been spotted just outside mpila plus cheetah and Buffs and ellies

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

Hello and just to add. I have been visiting Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Parkon and off for nearly 20 years. In the last few years I have even managed 2 trips there. I was there in January and the roads were all in good condition and easily accessible by a sedan car. There were one or two places where erosion had taken its toll but otherwise all good. The main problem occurs after heavy storms when roads get muddy, but even then I have managed to get round in a hire car. Weather & game viewing both depend a little on time of year and of course luck. Last year I saw hundreds of elephants in the northern Hluhluwe section. This year it was the same but in the southern iMfolozi section. We actually got to see just about everything in January. I would always say, stop at hides and speak to people especially tour guides who can point you in the direction. Its a stunning park!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

Forgot to mention...I will make an inquiry into your wildcard.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
716 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?

@Mark

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

The International Visitor's Wildcard is for ALL Clusters and is much more expensive than the South African / citizens from neighboring countries Wildcards which seem to associate to specific clusters you choose, so I imagine the KZN cluster should be included.

Reply to: Is Wildcard accepted at Hluhluwe Game Reserve?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe Game Reserve