We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seaweed

Is it true this week excessive seaweed on bavaro beach

Day Trip to Saona Island and Altos de...
77 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Free Cancellation
Punta Cana Discovery Package: Dune...
136 Reviews
from US$99.99*
Free Cancellation
Monkeyland and Plantation Safari Tour...
111 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
30 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed

We just got back 2 days ago from a 6-day trip at the Iberostar Grand... it was there but didn't "ruin" our trip by any means. There was definitely more seaweed the first few days (but people were still swimming and they had crews cleaning it off the beach). On Wednesday it was almost completely clear and very little washing up.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Bavaro
Iberostar Grand Bavaro
11,002 Reviews
Dominican Republic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
8,890 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed

It is natural, the hotels do there best to clear it early morning...just go and enjoy 👌🏽

Caserta, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed

I'm currently here at bavaro beach. Full of seaweed, impossible to swim at all. Completely disappointed. Don't waste your money, we regret it.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed

#3 is, IMO, one of the worst posts of all time.

Seaweed in the water or washed up on the beach is like the weather, you gets what you gets.

Happy travels.

New York
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed

I completely agree with #3. The people go to Punta Cana mostly because of the Caribbean sea, and NOT because of the pool, drinks or food (of course it's a matter of preference). This vacation costs a lot of money. I, for example, always research the seaweed situation before we book. The seaweed is the main reason we are not going to Mexico this year (went every summer for the last 12 years). It's waste of money to go somewhere because of the sea and not be able to enjoy it. Yes, it's like weather 'you get what you get', but there is no reason to avoid it if possible.

Edited: 16 June 2018, 01:00
Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed

#5 Punta Cana is not on the Caribbean , it's on the North Atlantic and as it faces north east it gets seagrass carried on the trade winds.

The Caribbean coast of the DR faces south and west and escapes the seagrass problem to a greater degree.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaweed

Stayed in Bavaro from May 31 to June 8. First 2 days there were literally walls (up to 2 feet high) of seaweed on the beach. Next 4 days it got better: in the morning water was absolutely clean, but by the afternoon some seaweeds showed up. Then for the last couple days seaweed came back. When we were flying back home we could see from the plane green areas of the seaweeds coming from north-east. It seems trade-winds are to be blamed. I'm wondering how is it in Puerto-Rico right now? Last year we stayed in the north-eastern part of Puerto-Rico (same orientation as Bavaro) in the beginning of June, but there was no seaweeds whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaweed

Green???? It's more like bronzie browish colour isn't it?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaweed

Agree. Rather light-brownish. I think it's called Sargassum seaweed and comes from Sargasso sea, which is roughly between Bermuda and Puerto-Rico.

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Lachine, Quebec
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaweed

Husband and I just came back from our vacation at Punta Cana Princess on Bavaro Beach. I am a beach person so I look forward to swimming and walking along the beach, however the seaweed made this almost impossible this time. It was piled up to 2 feet high and 5 feet wide in some areas and almost impossible to reach the water unless you walked through it. The workers in front of the resorts were trying their best to rake up the seaweed every morning but this proved to be an impossible task as it just washed up faster than they could remove it. We were told by our Sunwing rep that this was caused by over fishing of a certain fish that normally eats the seaweed and that the government was looking into this. Others said it was just that time of the year. All we know is that most people stayed away from swimming in the sea because of this issue. So if you are a beach person and love to swim in the sea you may want to stay away from Bavaro Beach until the problem is resolved.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Punta Cana Princess All...
6,407 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bavaro Beach
Bavaro Beach
17,736 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bavaro