We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

East Coast
Level Contributor
268 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Looking for the best option for renting a car for a 5-day visit to Nafplio, coming off a cruise. It's not clear to me if there are good car rental options at Piraeus, or whether we should take a bus from Athens to Nafplio (or Argos) and then rent a car? Any advice is appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Another option in my view is to go to the airport and rent there, it is easy enough, by bus, metro or train :) Problem with Pireas is getting out of it and Athens :/

East Coast
Level Contributor
268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Thanks, I see another option is to go directly from the port to the Kifisos bus station and take the bus to Nafplio from there but I'm not sure how easy it is to rent a car in Argos or Nafplion.

Is the drive from the airport to Nafplion fairly easy/straightforward? It looks like our ship would arrive in Piraeus on a Monday around 9 AM, so I'm guessing we'd be heading out from the airport around lunch-time.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

The drive from the airport to Nafplio is very easy. It’s all straight on a highway till you passed the Corinth Canal. Then you can choose: either you take the highway direction Kalamata, take the exit Nemea and follow the signs to Nafplio or you take the road along the coasters up to Epidavros and follow the signs to Nafplio from there. The 1st route is sporter, the 2nd one is more scenic.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 04:53
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Some typing defo’s: it should read “along the coast” and “the 1st route is shorter”

East Coast
Level Contributor
268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Great info, thanks!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

I recently rented a car in Piraeus and drove to Nafplio. There are quite a few rental agencies in Pireaus - we used Hertz, which was a short walk from our Seajet arrival point. It was a short drive to get on the highway, no problem. Of course, having google maps navigation on the phone helped quite a bit!

If you're planning on using a car for day trips once you get to Nafplio, then it's a good idea to rent. But if you are not going anywhere else once you get to Nafplio, the bus might be a better choice. The drive, as Nicksy said, was pretty easy.

East Coast
Level Contributor
268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?

Thanks, picking up at Piraeus would be much more efficient and it looks like the highway is 2 or 3 miles from the port so that would be preferable. I'll just need to check on any dropoff fees if we return it to the airport upon departure.

We'll be driving around the Peloponnese so will definitely need a car there!

Reply to: Rent car in Piraeus, or take bus and rent car in Napflio?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted