We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

sepandee
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

Hi everyone, at the risk of angering the Internets (because I've asked this elsewhere as well), here I go:

So this is for (please don't laugh) The canada day long weekend, Friday to Monday. I'm not that experienced, but have done this about a dozen times. The other 5-7 people in the group, pretty new to this.

What we're looking for:

* Access Point: No more than a 4-hour drive from Toronto; Outfitter or canoe delivery available;

* Route difficulty: easy to medium; No more than 6 hours of total travel and 1.5km of portaging

* Lake (where campsite is): *MUST* be scenic. I want some of that 'wow' factor. Killarney and Lake OSA are 'wow. North Tea is 'wow' (in a different way). So yes, wow! And a lake that's good for swimming (clear, not famous for leeches or algae)

* Campsite: looking to stay only in 1 campsite.

Large and flat enough to fit 3 tents.

Ideally relatively open and elevated with some breeze to keep the bugs away.

A sunny front (beach or flat rock) to enjoy the sun (Algonquin owes me this!) would be nice.

And relatively easy access to firewood

Of course a lot of sites are taken for the long-weekend. My fallback plan is North Tea, but this time on the west side in case the winds are too crazy.

PLEASE MAKE THE DECISION FOR ME. I WILL INVITE YOU TO A PINT IF WE EVER CROSS PATHS!

But in all seriousness, (a Canadian) apologies for asking this questions again, and thank you. I really do appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Killarney Lodge
Killarney Lodge
269 Reviews
Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada
12 replies to this topic
sepandee
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

Forgot to mention, privacy!

I don't mind the occassional canoers passing by; in fact, I like saying hello to fellow humans! But being 200 across or adjacent to the next campsite, or constant power/motorboats, that I don't like! Saw a couple on North Tea last year, but it's such a big lake that it wasn't an issue at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

Honestly if you have not already reserved a backcountry site at Algonquin abandon the idea right now.

Canada Day and the associated long weekend will be booked solid at Algonquin already. No point in even entertaining the idea of a long weekend portage this close to the long weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

Algonquin as a whole is likely fully booked for the long weekend. You needed to book 5 months in advance not 3 weeks.

I wish you all the best but you left this a little too late.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

GOOGLE "Algonquin Adventures " and go to 'trip reports" and do some reading.. You are asking for a customized trip and that's not how it works . On of our sons was in Algonquin on the Victoria day weekend with some people that were experienced ..They could not reserve a particular campsite. They obtained a permit to canoe in the back country .

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

The key thing @poster 4 is needing to reserve.

See here: algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/backcountr…

The Canada Day weekend is the busiest at algonquin by far.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

If you can find anything in Algonquin, I believe it is a max of 6 per site.

Remember you book a site on a lake, but not a particular site on the lake, so it is first come first served for which site you actuall get.

There is an outfitter in Kearney, I think it is Algonquin Outfitters. They have canoes at Rain Lake, (access point 4) but it does get busy on a normal summer day.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

What you are looking for "privacy" and only 3 hours away from drop off and in Algonquin Park and on July 1st week end will be next to impossible to find.this late. And I forgot, easy access to firewood. good luck

Mentioned in this post
Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

A single campsite allows up to 9 persons. Some are good, some are so so and some are great. You reserve a campsite on a lake not a particular campsite. In order to meet most of your requests look at some of the lesser used access points. Be flexible if necessary to transport your canoe by car top (fairly inexpensive to rent) from an outfitter to an access point if necessary. Go the 2nd week of September if you really want to have the most choices.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

I don't know Algonquin park because we are doing our first canoe trip there this coming weekend. But with 5-7 beginners on a long weekend, which is two nights, I would NOT do Algonquin as a first time canoe trip...

Rather I would book a car camping site at Algonquin and try canoeing around the rivers a bit first, to see if you actually have enough people in your group who can steer and get in/out without capsizing!!!

If you did capsize, how many people know canoe rescue techniques? How many people will properly waterproof their gear? My boyfriend went on a trip with beginners, and they ended up making 13 trips on a portage because they brought 4 full sized propane stoves...

...I would suggest going for an overnight hiking/camping trip at Frontenac Provincial Park to see how many people are strong enough to carry a backpack full of gear, or if you're REALLY set on canoeing, I would canoe the Rideau canal and stay on the lawn of the lockstations. They have nice washrooms, drinkable water, a restaurant, a store at Chaffey's lockstation and running water, all of which is maintained by parks Canada.

Those are nice beginner trips. I've done both of those before with over 60% beginners and one or two really experienced people. We hiked 4km with our backpacks, set up tents, tried and failed to tree our food to keep it away from the bears, and the whole trip was a success, all my beginners wanted to do it again because I planned a very easy trip and made sure there was no rain.

Mentioned in this post
Frontenac Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park
59 Reviews
Verona, Canada
Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal
4,471 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion

If you're looking for 'WOW' factor I would suggest Bon Echo. One night at Mazinaw Lake, and you can paddle across to see the ancient rock carvings, and then another night in the back-country to try out a mini canoe trip with your beginners!

They also have walk-in campsites.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 07:43
Reply to: Algonquin canoe route and campsite suggestion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Algonquin Provincial...
;