We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calistoga Day trip by bus

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Calistoga Day trip by bus

Hi, I would like to go to Calistoga by bus from San Francisco for a day trip to have a mud bath. Could someone tell me if this is possible, and if so How.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

I'm not sure that can be done. You may need to hire a private driver, try www.extranomical.com

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

No practical way of taking public trans from San Francisco to Calistoga--which is at the northern end of the Napa Valley. You will need to rent a car, hire a private driver (extremely expensive for that distance/time) or try to find a day tour that inc's spa time. Wish I knew of one to refer you to, but don't. Perhaps others will advise--or why not contact some of the Calistoga spas and see if they have any recommendations for you. You can also look into San Francisco spas that offer the mud experience.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

Indian Springs Resort is nice spa to check out in Calistoga for the mud baths. You will be able to use their Olympic sized mineral pool until 5:00 with the purchase of a mud bath. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Indian Springs Calistoga
Indian Springs Calistoga
2,906 Reviews
Calistoga, CA
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

I have one more company you can try - they only pick up from SF hotels - www.vinambassador.com

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,437 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

This is about the only public transit option from San Francisco to Calistoga: Golden Gate Transit to Santa Rosa or Vallejo Ferry to Vallejo, then a regional transit bus to Calistoga. It seems more complicated than a visitor with limited time would want to deal with.

www.calistogavisitors.com/transportation.php

Another thought: most people who go to Calistoga for the spas will tell you they are very relaxing. Most folks want to go to sleep, or at least rest for awhile, maybe have dinner or do something else enjoyable, even stay overnight to get the maximum benefit from the treatments. I think what this means is that something is lost when you have your treatments and then rush back to the City.

If you go up for a mud bath, why not do the whole routine (mud, mineral soaks, perhaps a massage and facial), and spend the night? Have a leisurely dinner. Wake up in the morning, take a dip (most spas with lodging have pools), then return to San Francisco. This would be more relaxing and also make it more worthwhile if you're going to take the time to go up on public transit or pay to hire a driver.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 05:58
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,718 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Rosa
Santa Rosa
Sonoma County, CA
Vallejo
Vallejo
California
Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

Thanks for the information. I do realise it will be quite rushed, but is the only way I can do it. And we will get to see some of the countryside on the way. Possibly sleep on way back.

7. Re: Calistoga Day trip by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 14:17