We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

We are going to Napa Valley in November and don't want to spend a fortune on wine tastings. I'm wondering if any of the wineries offer the option of just buying a glass (or maybe a bottle) to drink there?

We are going to the Golden Haven for a couple of hours then on to a B&B in Napa so we'd like to stay close to those areas.

Also, any "must see/do's" in Calistoga? Off the beaten path, preferably.

Free tastings would be nice, as well. Any hints?

Thanks for your advice.

Tank Garage Winery
Wine Tours & Tastings , Wine Bars, Wineries & Vineyards
T-Vine Winery
Wine Tours & Tastings , Wineries & Vineyards, Wine Bars
Huge Bear at The Bank Tasting Saloon
Wineries & Vineyards, Wine Tours & Tastings , Wine Bars
Calistoga Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,331 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

To save money you can share a tasting with your travel partner.

The purpose of the tasting is so that you can decide which wine you'd like to buy! Then you can buy a bottle but folks don't stay at the winery sipping the bottles they bought there. They usually buy and then take them back to their home or hotel.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

Thanks. I do know that a few, like Domaine Carneros, have food and wine by the glass available for eating/drinking there. I've been there before so I'd like to try somewhere else.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

My husband and I often share a tasting. Sometimes the tasting price includes 4-5 small sips/glasses of wine, and at 10am, we might not feel like each doing that.

We might decide which we like best, and buy a bottle to take back to our room, or home with us for later if we are driving. Sometimes you can wrap in bubble wrap and take home on the plane, we've done this often and had no problems.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

Thanks for your advice!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

The whole idea of going to a winery is to taste the wine and by taste I mean taste it and not drink it if you are driving and if you or your SO, like it to get a bottle in which case, they will waive the tasting fee and charge you just for the bottle in most of the wineries -- that way you can go to a few wineries and not drive drunk.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
6,061 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

If you just want to enjoy a bottle of wine - best is to choose a winery with a picnic area. They love to sell their bottles of wine so you can enjoy it with the views of the winery grounds, etc. Several have delis. A popular place for deli and drinking is V. Sattui Winery. Yes, you will need to check the weather forecast - but in general, if its not raining, it will be lovely any time of year. This is probably the best way to enjoy if you just want a bottle....

There are several places to buy things in advance if you don't want to buy from the deli there. And yes, its fine just to have some crackers and cheese - and that bottle of wine to enjoy those picnic tables (ie. the wineries don't care how much food you have with you.)

In terms of do wineries require you to do the tastings - no. And that is not the only reason to go to a winery. Picnics with wine are just fine. Many wineries (especially for wine club members) offer occasional special events - some are open to the public as well. For example, we went to the Catalan festival at Gloria Ferrar this past summer- wonderful event with lots of wine and lots and lots of food and lots of entertainment. Check the napa vallye and sonoma vallye events web sites to see what is going on when you are in the area.....

Edited: 15 September 2012, 09:38
7. Re: Can I just buy a glass of wine at wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Calistoga