We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
139 reviews
Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

We will be heading south just before Halloween and plan one night in the Napa Valley area. Calistoga and Santa Rosa are on the route we have planned.

Which city do you think would be most interesting that time of year. We are not interesting in visiting wineries, just a pleasant place for a one night stopover, maybe visit some galleries or do some shopping.

Try to keep our hotel budget between $100-$150 a night, but willing to splurge for a really special place.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Calistoga. Santa Rosa isn't what I would call a tourist destination.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,563 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Santa Rosa is not in the Napa Valley. It is the County Seat of Sonoma County, with a population of 168,000.

Calistoga is at the head of the Napa Valley with a population of around 5,000.

Unless you want a city atmosphere I would stay in Calistoga, where I am sure you will find some interesting shopping and galleries. Granted, not with the variety of a city, but Calistoga is quite charming. It is also known for its mud baths, if that interests you.

Your budget is a little low for the area, but you will be there at the end of the grape crush, I think. Someone local will come in and suggest lodgings I am sure.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Unless you have specific reasons for being in Santa Rosa, most definitely lodge in Calistoga if those 2 places are the choices. Calistoga is a charming small town in a picturesque setting and will provide a nice array of restaurants, galleries and shops that are close by. That being said, you are much more likely to find lodging in your price range in Santa Rosa than in Calistoga. Around $200-$250 would be more realistic. Oct. is a very popular time to visit and you may have some difficulties getting reservations at this late date. Check Calistoga Inn as well as the Mount View Hotel. Some of the nicer motels in the area could be possibilities too.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Calistoga but eat beans for a couple days & up your room budget to $200 +.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
139 reviews
5. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Thanks for your advice. I was definitely leaning toward Calistoga, but wanted some input from folks who had been there more recently. The last time I was there was probably 60 years ago. Some friends of my parents were managers at a dude ranch. All I remember about it was the swimming pool. Do you suppose it was the original Calistoga Ranch? :-)

We can get rooms at the Best Western Stevenson Manor for around $150 AARP or AAA rates. It seems to get good ratings. Mount View Hotel has mixed reviews and Calistoga Inn is closed because of a fire in late August.

RamblinSal, I'll be checking with you re: Borrego Springs. Planning to spend a day touring the Anza Borrego Desert when we are at Palm Springs in mid-November.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Whooo Haaa --- someone heading to Borrego ... bring it ON!! Bit of a drive from Palm Springs (not to mention a world away culturally). I won't get there until January so I envy your trip.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 11:02
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
1,019 reviews
7. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

Stevenson Manor is a great choice for lodging in Calistoga. :)

8. Re: Calistoga or Santa Rosa late Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:18