We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

So I booked 4 days in Carlsbad in September on a whim to celebrate a birthday. Other than brunch at Grand Traditions and a birthday dinner at Chart House in Cardiff (any opinions on that too?) we don't have plans. We are two middle-aged adults and like historic/sight-seeing tours or other educational type events. We are find hanging around the pool and walking the beach for part of it, but need a little entertainment planned. I'm debating San Diego zoo, and I have ruled out Catalina due to the time commitment, but would love other ideas or activities. Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Kristin

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo
23,890 Reviews
San Diego, CA
7 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,447 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

For history, look at the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia or if you go down to San Diego, Mission San Diego de Alcalá. The Mormon Battalion in Old Town San Diego is interesting too and of course the USS Midway.

Mentioned in this post
Mission San Luis Rey
Mission San Luis Rey
497 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Old Town San Diego
Old Town San Diego
1,446 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,558 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

Take a tour of the Gemological Institute of America (GIA).

They have some fascinating exhibits.

https://www.gia.edu/gia-museum

The link has details on how to get tickets and the process of visiting.

Dr. Z

So.Cal
Level Contributor
365 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

We go to the Chart House in Cardiff several times a year - beautiful views, good food & service, valet parking only. Our favorite is Sunday brunch if that fits with your schedule.

In addition to the above suggestions for things to do, check out the San Diego Botanical Gardens in Encinitas (a very short drive from Carlsbad) and also the Museum of Making Music if that interests you. Just walking around Carlsbad Village can be fun - some nice little shops and a real 'town' feeling. Don't miss the Carlsbad Chocolate Bar at the corner of Carlsbad Village Drive and State Street. There's also a great Farmers Market if you're there on a Wednesday (open from 3:00pm to 7:00pm).

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Carlsbad Village
Carlsbad Village
1,024 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
448 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

Oceanside, just north of Carlsbad has a good small art museum downtown, as well as the beautiful San Luis Rey Mission and museum. Also there is a downtown Thursday Sunset Market 5-9 pm, with a huge variety of delicious food options. The downtown area has a long pier, with a Ruby’s Diner on the end - a lovely spot for an evening walk.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

You asked for an opinion re: Chart House. The location is excellent but Chart House long ago lost its soul and isn't what it used to be. Might I suggest Poseidon or Jake's, both of which are on the beach in Del Mar.

For something a bit different how about going to UCSD and touring the campus sculptures? The Stuart Collection is outstanding, and you'll walk through a very nice university campus. http://stuartcollection.ucsd.edu/

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,558 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

Yes! UCSD is a great spot to roam around (I did my undergrad there)

Check out the iconic main library, now called the Theodore Geisel Library (Dr Seuss) and have a photo taken with the statue out front. There used to be a Dr Seuss display in the library. It may still be there.

Walk by the Engineering building and look up top. I won’t spoil the surprise by telling you what’s up there.

Just walking around campus and smelling the eucalyptus fragrance is worth the stop.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see

Someone mentioned Oceanside and I'd second that thought as there are a number of food options (the area is becoming a "foodie" destination). Walking the pier is always enjoyable and close to it is 333 Pacific for a nice dinner (ask to sit on the patio for a great view of the water). Other options include Bagby Beer Company or That Boy Good (BBQ) or Flying Pig (one of my favorites) plus a whole lot more.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
That Boy Good
That Boy Good
307 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
Reply to: Area in & around Carlsbad--options for things to do/see
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted